* [dpdk-users] Transmit Completion
@ 2021-03-02 10:26 John Alexander
From: John Alexander @ 2021-03-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

Once a packet has been transmitted using an API call such as rte_eth_tx_burst(), what is the preferred method of determining that the packet has been transmitted?  I need to provide a notification to an application so that it can re-use/re-claim some application resources that were associated with the mbuf in the mbuf custom private data; this is a lazy re-claim, we're not after immediate per-packets events just eventual reclaim.

I've been finding that rte_eth_tx_done_cleanup() isn't very widely supported by many PMDs and when used with the Intel i40e PMD, it doesn't flush out mbufs where the associated descriptor hasn't yet been updated due to the descriptor update granularity (setting that down to 1 seems to result in at least 1 mbuf still remaining stuck in the PMD).  The reclaim cycle works fine when I'm continually sending, when I pause or stop sending, I never get my mbufs back so I'm wondering what the preferred way of achieving this is?

Many Thanks,
John A.