* [dpdk-users] IOMMU support in UIO
@ 2017-07-19 18:31 edin burgh
From: edin burgh @ 2017-07-19 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I wanted to know if igb_uio or uio_pci_generic has support for IOMMU on x86
systems.

Thanks

* Re: [dpdk-users] IOMMU support in UIO
@ 2017-07-19 19:04 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-07-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edin burgh; +Cc: users

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:31:28 -0700
edin burgh <edin.burgh.2357@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to know if igb_uio or uio_pci_generic has support for IOMMU on x86
> systems.

If you have an IOMMU, use VFIO. igb_uio and uio_pci_generic are unsafe and provide
no memory protection.

* Re: [dpdk-users] IOMMU support in UIO
@ 2017-07-19 20:13   ` edin burgh
From: edin burgh @ 2017-07-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Thank you for the reply Stephen. Safety and protection issues aside, do
uio_pci_generic and igb_uio have the functionality to support IOMMU?

Thanks

@ 2017-07-19 20:33     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-07-19 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edin burgh; +Cc: users

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:13:34 -0700
edin burgh <edin.burgh.2357@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the reply Stephen. Safety and protection issues aside, do
> uio_pci_generic and igb_uio have the functionality to support IOMMU?

No they dont use IOMMU. There was also a bug in some releases that if
the IOMMU was enabled, it would block access via UIO.

* Re: [dpdk-users] IOMMU support in UIO
@ 2017-07-19 20:34       ` edin burgh
From: edin burgh @ 2017-07-19 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users