* [dpdk-users] Support for RSS UDP hash types on vmxnet3
@ 2019-04-01 14:21 madhukar mythri
From: madhukar mythri @ 2019-04-01 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

As per the documentation of "Poll Mode Driver for Paravirtual vmxnet3 NIC"
in NIC driver guides.

vmxnet3 Features and Limitations of VMXNET3 PMD are as follows:
-----------------------
RSS based load balancing between queues - SUPPORTED
------------------------

But, i'm seeing all the UDP packets are landing on only single queue, even
after enabling RSS.

Does anybody faced similar issue and any fix available on this issue ?

Thanks,
Madhukar.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Support for RSS UDP hash types on vmxnet3
@ 2019-04-01 18:39 ` Eduard Serra Miralles
From: Eduard Serra Miralles @ 2019-04-01 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: madhukar mythri, users

6.5 and prior requires to set a specific flag on VM vmx file to enable RSS, apart from requesting it inside:

// On vmx file

ethernet1.udpRSS = “1”

6.7 and onwards, with newer virtual hw version, the guest will handle that on its own with no required intervention from the hypervisor.

________________________________

@ 2019-04-02 11:01   ` madhukar mythri
From: madhukar mythri @ 2019-04-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Serra Miralles; +Cc: users

Hi Eduard,

Thanks very much for the suggestion, now with "ethernetX.usdpRSS=1"(in vmx
file) RSS working well on my guest VM (with vmxnet3 PMD of DPDK-17.11).
i'm using ESXi-6.7 update-1, but, by default RSS did not worked. By
enabling the above suggested option only, i could see the UDP packets were
load-balancing very well on multi-queues.

On top of this, for better performance do we need to enable any more extra
flags in "vmx" file ?

Thanks,
Madhukar.

@ 2019-04-17 11:22   ` madhukar mythri
From: madhukar mythri @ 2019-04-17 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Serra Miralles; +Cc: users

Hi,

This "ethernetX.udpRSS" flag works well in ESXi-6.7 for UDP packets. But
the same flag not working in ESXi-6.5, does any additional settings
required to work UDP RSS ?
Or, does this flag introduced in 6.7 only.