* [dpdk-users] how to migrate from pthread to L-thread
@ 2019-03-25 15:58 ikuzar RABE
From: ikuzar RABE @ 2019-03-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello all,

I work on Linux (Debian 8), DPDK v18.05.1

I work on legacy code which reads packets from NIC's ports using several
readers (using libpcap and threads from pthread API).
The aim is to remove libpcap and migrate to DPDK using L-thread (
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-16.04/sample_app_ug/performance_thread.html)

Is it possible to directly call L-thread functions (lthread_create,
lthread_mutex_lock, etc.) instead of using pthread shim ?
(
https://github.com/Juniper/contrail-dpdk/blob/master/examples/performance-thread/pthread_shim/pthread_shim.h
)
What are the advantages/drawbacks of using pthread shim / lthread API?

With pthread shim, I do not know where to call pthread_override_set(1) and
pthread_override_set(0), that's why I 'd like to directly call L-thread
functions.
In the following example (see link below), it is simple because there is no
interraction between threads running on different lcores.
https://doc.dpdk.org/api/examples_2performance-thread_2pthread_shim_2main_8c-example.html

Regards,

ikuzar

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-03-25 15:59 UTC | newest]