DPDK usage discussions
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [dpdk-users] DPDK Pdump support for the external buffers - 20_11 version
@ 2021-05-17 17:50 Navin Srinivas
  2021-05-17 18:55 ` Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Navin Srinivas @ 2021-05-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I'm able to use pdump with test-pmd with the same set of parameters used
for the eal init, but when I try to attach pdump as a secondary process in
Intel Flexran, I face an issue with the following error.

EAL: Failed to hotplug add device

EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1

  Cause: vdev creation failed    ->> it fails with this error.


And on further checking, came to know that Flexran uses external buffers,
does pdump supports external buffers? Is the above error due to the same?


We would like to capture packets without any performance degradation, what
would be the suggested method to implement this?


Thanks & Regards,

Navin Srinivas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK Pdump support for the external buffers - 20_11 version
  2021-05-17 17:50 [dpdk-users] DPDK Pdump support for the external buffers - 20_11 version Navin Srinivas
@ 2021-05-17 18:55 ` Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen
  2021-05-18 17:14   ` Navin Srinivas
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen @ 2021-05-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin Srinivas; +Cc: users

What is the setup and what line rate you want to achieve. And what is the
hardware

On Mon, May 17, 2021, 10:51 PM Navin Srinivas <g.navinsrinivas@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm able to use pdump with test-pmd with the same set of parameters used
> for the eal init, but when I try to attach pdump as a secondary process in
> Intel Flexran, I face an issue with the following error.
>
> EAL: Failed to hotplug add device
>
> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>
>   Cause: vdev creation failed    ->> it fails with this error.
>
>
> And on further checking, came to know that Flexran uses external buffers,
> does pdump supports external buffers? Is the above error due to the same?
>
>
> We would like to capture packets without any performance degradation, what
> would be the suggested method to implement this?
>
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Navin Srinivas
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK Pdump support for the external buffers - 20_11 version
  2021-05-17 18:55 ` Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen
@ 2021-05-18 17:14   ` Navin Srinivas
  2021-05-25 18:41     ` Navin Srinivas
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Navin Srinivas @ 2021-05-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen; +Cc: users

This is for the 5G RAN application.  I'm not sure about the end hardware.

Regards,
Navin


On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:25 AM Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen <
zain2294@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the setup and what line rate you want to achieve. And what is the
> hardware
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2021, 10:51 PM Navin Srinivas <g.navinsrinivas@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm able to use pdump with test-pmd with the same set of parameters used
>> for the eal init, but when I try to attach pdump as a secondary process in
>> Intel Flexran, I face an issue with the following error.
>>
>> EAL: Failed to hotplug add device
>>
>> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>>
>>   Cause: vdev creation failed    ->> it fails with this error.
>>
>>
>> And on further checking, came to know that Flexran uses external buffers,
>> does pdump supports external buffers? Is the above error due to the same?
>>
>>
>> We would like to capture packets without any performance degradation, what
>> would be the suggested method to implement this?
>>
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Navin Srinivas
>>
>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] DPDK Pdump support for the external buffers - 20_11 version
  2021-05-18 17:14   ` Navin Srinivas
@ 2021-05-25 18:41     ` Navin Srinivas
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Navin Srinivas @ 2021-05-25 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen; +Cc: users

Hi,

I managed to debug further and noticed that *pmd_pcap_drv* is not loaded on
our application, which is available in test-pmd when the attach is called
from secondary application dpdk-pdump

How do I enable the pmd_pcap_drv in vdev ? We have done rte_pdump_init as
suggested by the DPDK documentation.

Am I missing some init ?

Thanks & Regards,
Navin Srinivas


On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 10:44 PM Navin Srinivas <g.navinsrinivas@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is for the 5G RAN application.  I'm not sure about the end hardware.
>
> Regards,
> Navin
>
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:25 AM Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen <
> zain2294@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the setup and what line rate you want to achieve. And what is the
>> hardware
>>
>> On Mon, May 17, 2021, 10:51 PM Navin Srinivas <g.navinsrinivas@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm able to use pdump with test-pmd with the same set of parameters used
>>> for the eal init, but when I try to attach pdump as a secondary process
>>> in
>>> Intel Flexran, I face an issue with the following error.
>>>
>>> EAL: Failed to hotplug add device
>>>
>>> EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
>>>
>>>   Cause: vdev creation failed    ->> it fails with this error.
>>>
>>>
>>> And on further checking, came to know that Flexran uses external buffers,
>>> does pdump supports external buffers? Is the above error due to the same?
>>>
>>>
>>> We would like to capture packets without any performance degradation,
>>> what
>>> would be the suggested method to implement this?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards,
>>>
>>> Navin Srinivas
>>>
>>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-05-25 18:42 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-05-17 17:50 [dpdk-users] DPDK Pdump support for the external buffers - 20_11 version Navin Srinivas
2021-05-17 18:55 ` Muhammad Zain-ul-Abideen
2021-05-18 17:14   ` Navin Srinivas
2021-05-25 18:41     ` Navin Srinivas

DPDK usage discussions

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://inbox.dpdk.org/users/0 users/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 users users/ https://inbox.dpdk.org/users \
		users@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index users

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git