* [dpdk-users] mempools
@ 2017-01-17 23:13 Mike Davison
From: Mike Davison @ 2017-01-17 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Looking at memory pools. It looks like they are a fixed size and cannot be
changed. Correct?

Assuming my reading is correct, is there interest in adding
dynamically-sized memory pools? I would envision these memory pools having
fixed-sized elements, as they do today, but resizing the number of
fixed-sized elements, within some limits, as needed. Good? Bad?

Thanks,
Mike

* Re: [dpdk-users] mempools
@ 2017-01-17 23:23 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-01-17 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Davison; +Cc: users

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:13:41 -0800
Mike Davison <mike.davison.tech@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at memory pools. It looks like they are a fixed size and cannot be
> changed. Correct?
>
> Assuming my reading is correct, is there interest in adding
> dynamically-sized memory pools? I would envision these memory pools having
> fixed-sized elements, as they do today, but resizing the number of
> fixed-sized elements, within some limits, as needed. Good? Bad?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Memzone's are fixed size regions
Mempool's are fixed size objects based on memzone's
For variable size objects, use rte_malloc

* Re: [dpdk-users] mempools
@ 2017-01-17 23:32   ` Mike Davison
From: Mike Davison @ 2017-01-17 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Looking for fixed-sized objects in somewhat variable-sized pool.

Perhaps use rte_malloc_socket to allocate from a specific heap and add a
bit of functionality above dpdk to ensure objects are fixed-sized. Perhaps.