From: David Aldrich <david.aldrich.ntml@gmail.com>
To: users <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] IGB UIO vs i40e PMD ?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 15:00:33 +0000

Hi

Our DPDK application interfaces with an Intel X722 NIC. We use the IGB UIO
module.

We now need to interface to a different NIC (on a custom FPGA). I've been
asked to connect to it using IGB UIO but have been told we may need to use
i40e PMD instead.

I don't understand whether IGB UIO and i40e PMD are the same or different
layers.  Are they interchangeable or does one use them together?

I also note that dpdk_setup.sh offers to install IGB UIO, VFIO and KNI
modules but does not mention i40e PMD. Why is this?

Sorry for my ignorance. Any explanation would be appreciated.

BR
David