From: David Aldrich <david.aldrich.ntml@gmail.com>
To: users <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] Basic hugepages question
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 16:34:29 +0000

Hi

Having successfully demonstrated using dpdk with our application, it's been
pointed out to me that our settings are using a very large amount of memory.

I am initialising the EAL with:

-m 16000

i.e. 16GB!

However, I am only specifying a count of 0x4000 to rte_ring_create(), which
I call twice to create one Rx and one Tx ring. So I guess these are only
using 32MB RAM total.

My questions are:

1) What would be a sensible amount of memory to specify with the '-m'
parameter to the EAL?
2) What size / number of hugepages should I allocate in Linux?

(I currently use boot parameters: 'hugepagesz=1G hugepages=20 hugepagesz=2M
hugepages=0').

Best regards
David