* [dpdk-users] 'MBUF: error setting mempool handler'
@ 2020-06-04 16:50 David Aldrich
From: David Aldrich @ 2020-06-04 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I am using some DPDK application code that worked with DPDK 2.2.0.  I am
trying to port it to DPDK 18.08.  The code gives error:

MBUF: error setting mempool handler

I guess the app code that causes this is:

ptRxQueInfo->pool = rte_mempool_create(buf,
>                                nb_mbuf/2,
>                                MBUF_SIZE,
>                                0,
>                                sizeof(struct rte_pktmbuf_pool_private),
>
>                                rte_pktmbuf_pool_init,
>                                NULL,
>                                rte_pktmbuf_init,
>                                NULL,
>                                iCpuSocket,
>                                0)

I really don't know how to fix this. Any suggestions please?

* Re: [dpdk-users] 'MBUF: error setting mempool handler'
@ 2020-06-04 17:23 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-06-04 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Aldrich; +Cc: users

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 17:50:18 +0100
David Aldrich <david.aldrich.ntml@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using some DPDK application code that worked with DPDK 2.2.0.  I am
> trying to port it to DPDK 18.08.  The code gives error:
>
> MBUF: error setting mempool handler
>

> I guess the app code that causes this is:
>
> ptRxQueInfo->pool = rte_mempool_create(buf,
> >                                nb_mbuf/2,
> >                                MBUF_SIZE,
> >                                0,
> >                                sizeof(struct rte_pktmbuf_pool_private),
> >
> >                                rte_pktmbuf_pool_init,
> >                                NULL,
> >                                rte_pktmbuf_init,
> >                                NULL,
> >                                iCpuSocket,
> >                                0)
>

> I really don't know how to fix this. Any suggestions please?

You should not be using 8.08 is not a Long Term Stable release. It is not supported.

You should be using rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() rather than rte_mempool_create().
Lots has changed in the years since 2.2.0

* Re: [dpdk-users] 'MBUF: error setting mempool handler'
@ 2020-06-05  9:43   ` David Aldrich
From: David Aldrich @ 2020-06-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 17:50:18 +0100
> David Aldrich <david.aldrich.ntml@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> You should not be using 8.08 is not a Long Term Stable release. It is not
> supported.

I'm using 18.08 LTS

> You should be using rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() rather than
> rte_mempool_create().
> Lots has changed in the years since 2.2.0

Sorry, I made a mistake. The error:

MBUF: error setting mempool handler

occurs in:

mp = rte_pktmbuf_pool_create(   buf,
                                NB_MBUF,
                                32,
                                0,
                                RTE_MBUF_DEFAULT_BUF_SIZE,
                                iCpuSocket);

Any advice please?

@ 2020-06-05 16:20     ` David Aldrich
From: David Aldrich @ 2020-06-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

May I restate my problem please as there was an error in my original
message:

I am using some DPDK application code that worked with DPDK 2.2.0. I am
trying to port it to DPDK 18.08, running on Centos 7. The code gives error:

MBUF: error setting mempool handler

This error occurs in the call to rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() below:

    for (lcore_id = 0; lcore_id < RTE_MAX_LCORE; lcore_id++) {

        if (rte_lcore_is_enabled(lcore_id) == 0)
            continue;

        iCpuSocket = rte_lcore_to_socket_id(lcore_id);

        if (iCpuSocket == SOCKET_ID_ANY)
            iCpuSocket = 0;

        // Preparing direct memory pool per Socket

        if (socket_direct_pool[iCpuSocket] == NULL)
        {
            mp = rte_pktmbuf_pool_create(   buf,
                                            NB_MBUF,
                                            32,
                                            0,
                                            RTE_MBUF_DEFAULT_BUF_SIZE,
                                            iCpuSocket);
            if (mp == NULL) {
                <print error>
                return -1;
            }
            socket_direct_pool[iCpuSocket] = mp;
        }

I don't know how to fix this. I have seen other people reporting this when
building the dpdk application code as a library (i.e. there were missing
symbols), but I am building directly as an executable.

Any suggestions please?

@ 2020-06-18 10:18       ` Kevin Traynor
From: Kevin Traynor @ 2020-06-18 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Aldrich, users

On 05/06/2020 17:20, David Aldrich wrote:
> May I restate my problem please as there was an error in my original
> message:
>
> I am using some DPDK application code that worked with DPDK 2.2.0. I am
> trying to port it to DPDK 18.08, running on Centos 7. The code gives error:
>
> MBUF: error setting mempool handler
>
> This error occurs in the call to rte_pktmbuf_pool_create() below:
>
>     for (lcore_id = 0; lcore_id < RTE_MAX_LCORE; lcore_id++) {
>
>         if (rte_lcore_is_enabled(lcore_id) == 0)
>             continue;
>
>         iCpuSocket = rte_lcore_to_socket_id(lcore_id);
>
>         if (iCpuSocket == SOCKET_ID_ANY)
>             iCpuSocket = 0;
>
>         // Preparing direct memory pool per Socket
>
>         if (socket_direct_pool[iCpuSocket] == NULL)
>         {
>             mp = rte_pktmbuf_pool_create(   buf,

It looks like you are reusing this 'buf' name multiple times. At a given
time, mempool names must be unique.

About 18.08 - there was one stable release 18.08.1, but it is not an LTS
and not maintained. Strongly suggest you move to 18.11 at least, or
19.11 which has longer maintenance left.

http://core.dpdk.org/roadmap/#stable