* [dpdk-users]  Generate more than 10000 flows.
@ 2017-05-07 16:05 Dheeraj Dang
From: Dheeraj Dang @ 2017-05-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I m running dpdk pktgen between two virtual machines that are on the same
network. Sender machine is sending UDP packets using range.
I m trying to generate no of flows in dpdk-pktgen and for that purpose, I'm
using source and destination port options (max, min, increment and start).

Start Min Max Inc
Source Port 3000 3000 3000+N 1
Destination Port 4000 4000 4000+N 1

where N is no of flows that I want to generate using dpdk-pktgen.

Following are my observations with dpdk-pktgen.

*N* *No of flows generated (sender side)*
10 10
100 100
1000 1000
10000 8192
20000 8192

Is it possible to generate more than 10000 flows through dpdk-pktgen ?

Regards,
Dheeraj Dang

* Re: [dpdk-users] Generate more than 10000 flows.
@ 2017-05-08 13:42 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2017-05-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dheeraj Dang; +Cc: users

> On May 7, 2017, at 11:05 AM, Dheeraj Dang <dheerajdang138@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I m running dpdk pktgen between two virtual machines that are on the same
> network. Sender machine is sending UDP packets using range.
> I m trying to generate no of flows in dpdk-pktgen and for that purpose, I'm
> using source and destination port options (max, min, increment and start).
>
> Start Min Max Inc
> Source Port 3000 3000 3000+N 1
> Destination Port 4000 4000 4000+N 1
>
> where N is no of flows that I want to generate using dpdk-pktgen.
>
> Following are my observations with dpdk-pktgen.
>
> *N* *No of flows generated (sender side)*
> 10 10
> 100 100
> 1000 1000
> 10000 8192
> 20000 8192

In pktgen the range and other modes setup the 8192 packets allocated just before sending the frames. The reason you only get 8192 is that is the number of packet buffers allocated. In the app/pktgen-constants.h change the following line by increasing the ‘8’ to something larger. This value will increase the number of packets created per port so the amount used for memory will increase.

 MAX_MBUFS_PER_PORT      = (DEFAULT_TX_DESC * 8),/* number of buffers to support per port */

> Is it possible to generate more than 10000 flows through dpdk-pktgen ?
>
> Regards,
> Dheeraj Dang

Regards,
Keith

* Re: [dpdk-users] Generate more than 10000 flows.
@ 2017-05-09  4:41   ` Dheeraj Dang
From: Dheeraj Dang @ 2017-05-09  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wiles, Keith; +Cc: users

Thanks a lot for your help.