* [dpdk-users] unable to receive packets less than 4 with rte_eth_rx_burst Api -regarding.
@ 2019-09-03  5:00 Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad
From: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad @ 2019-09-03  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev

Hi All,
         I am trying to receive packets transmitted by another DPDK
application running on different system. I am able to transmit packets with
a burst value of 1 using rte_eth_tx_burst Api, but unable to receive
packets with a burst value less than 4 using rte_eth_rx_burst Api. can
anyone please tell me the reason behind that? Is that because of any EthDev
configuration?. How to receive packets with a burst value of 1?

Thanks & Regards,
Hemasai

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] unable to receive packets less than 4 with rte_eth_rx_burst Api -regarding.
@ 2019-09-03  7:02 ` Wang, Haiyue
From: Wang, Haiyue @ 2019-09-03  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad, users, dev

Some PMD Vector Rx for performance has an hidden limitation like :

	/* nb_pkts shall be less equal than RTE_I40E_MAX_RX_BURST */
	nb_pkts = RTE_MIN(nb_pkts, RTE_I40E_MAX_RX_BURST);

	/* nb_pkts has to be floor-aligned to RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP */
	nb_pkts = RTE_ALIGN_FLOOR(nb_pkts, RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP);    <------ ;-)

#define RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP    4

BR,
Haiyue

@ 2019-09-03  9:23   ` Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad
From: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad @ 2019-09-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Haiyue; +Cc: users, dev

Hi,
I tried changing "RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP" located in i40e_rxtx.h to 1 and
recompiling DPDK but it didn't work. Is there any procedure to make it work
for rx_burst of 1 packet?

@ 2019-09-03  9:47     ` Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad
From: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad @ 2019-09-03  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Haiyue; +Cc: users, dev

Hi Haiyue,
                 It is working ,thanks for your response. can you please
tell what kind of performance limitation we have if RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP
value is less than 4 ?

Thanks & Regards,
Hemasai

@ 2019-09-03 11:33       ` Wang, Haiyue
From: Wang, Haiyue @ 2019-09-03 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perugu Hemasai Chandra Prasad; +Cc: users, dev

Hi Hemasai

You can see the comments in code like " /* A.1 load 4 pkts desc */ ", it use vector
instruction to handle HW desc *in batch*.

And also, you can change it to non-vector function by adjust some parameters, please
refer to i40e_set_rx_function for detail, it has debug message for your reference.