* [dpdk-users] AVX-512
@ 2018-02-23 19:16 Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2018-02-23 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi All,

I have a quick question. I got a new server with the CPU that should have
AVX-512 support but I don't see it in Linux (Ubuntu 18.04).

Here is the output:

auto@auto-virtual-machine:~$ *cat /proc/cpuinfo*
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 85
model name : *Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6130 CPU @ 2.10GHz*
stepping : 4
microcode : 0x2000029
cpu MHz : 2095.078
cache size : 22528 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 22
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl xtopology tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc
cpuid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm
3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle
avx2 smep bmi2 invpcid rtm rdseed adx smap xsaveopt arat
bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
bogomips : 4190.15
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Can someone tell me why I don't see AVX-512?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
dharani

* Re: [dpdk-users] AVX-512
@ 2018-02-23 19:38 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2018-02-23 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan; +Cc: users

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 11:16:14 -0800
Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan <vdharani@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a quick question. I got a new server with the CPU that should have
> AVX-512 support but I don't see it in Linux (Ubuntu 18.04).
>
> Here is the output:
>
> auto@auto-virtual-machine:~$ *cat /proc/cpuinfo*
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 6
> model : 85
> model name : *Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6130 CPU @ 2.10GHz*
> stepping : 4
> microcode : 0x2000029
> cpu MHz : 2095.078
> cache size : 22528 KB
> physical id : 0
> siblings : 2
> core id : 0
> cpu cores : 2
> apicid : 0
> initial apicid : 0
> fpu : yes
> fpu_exception : yes
> cpuid level : 22
> wp : yes
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
> pse36 clflush dts mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl xtopology tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc
> cpuid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt
> tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm
> 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle
> avx2 smep bmi2 invpcid rtm rdseed adx smap xsaveopt arat
> bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
> bogomips : 4190.15
> clflush size : 64
> cache_alignment : 64
> address sizes : 42 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> power management:
>
> Can someone tell me why I don't see AVX-512?
>
> Appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks
> dharani

If you are running in a VM, make sure that your hypervisor passes the avx flags through.
In KVM this is usually done with the "Copy host CPU configuration" in virt manager.

* Re: [dpdk-users] AVX-512
@ 2018-03-02  1:57   ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2018-03-02  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: users

Hi Stephen,

Appreciate your response.

I have ESXi. I am still trying to map the KVM config with ESXi but no luck
yet. I have requested the admin to figure out. If anyone is familiar with
ESXi configuration for this, please let me know.

Thanks
dharani

* Re: [dpdk-users] AVX-512
@ 2018-03-14  3:20     ` Don maillist
From: Don maillist @ 2018-03-14  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, users

Be careful with AVX-512. It is best to use AVX-256 on Skylake. The AVX-512
applications do not run efficiently today on Skylake. It increases power
consumption in the underlying cores.

Best Regards,
Don

* Re: [dpdk-users] AVX-512
@ 2018-03-14  5:34       ` Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan
From: Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan @ 2018-03-14  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don maillist; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, users

Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The CPU I have is: "Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6130 CPU @ 2.10GHz"

Would what you say apply to this as well?

Anyway, the prime reason why I am having this server is to play with
AVX-512. So I would like to try it.

Regards
dharani