* [dpdk-users] Retrieve NIC vendor name using PCI vendor ID
@ 2017-09-08 13:35 george.dit
From: george.dit @ 2017-09-08 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,

I would like to ask how one could retrieve the name of a NIC's vendor using
the PCI vendor ID.
For example, is there any mapping between PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL and a const
char* that returns e.g., "Intel"?

Moreover, why are the vendor IDs redefined by DPDK instead of being reused
from Linux
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/include/linux/pci_ids.h>?
It would be more convenient if a single RTE library could expose those IDs
to the applications. Currently I see those IDs being spread across the
different drivers.

Thanks in advance,
--
Georgios Katsikas
Industrial Ph.D. Student

* Re: [dpdk-users] Retrieve NIC vendor name using PCI vendor ID
@ 2017-09-08 15:55 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2017-09-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george.dit; +Cc: users

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 06:35:59 -0700
george.dit@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask how one could retrieve the name of a NIC's vendor using
> the PCI vendor ID.
> For example, is there any mapping between PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL and a const
> char* that returns e.g., "Intel"?
>
> Moreover, why are the vendor IDs redefined by DPDK instead of being reused
> from Linux
> <https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/include/linux/pci_ids.h>?
> It would be more convenient if a single RTE library could expose those IDs
> to the applications. Currently I see those IDs being spread across the
> different drivers.
>
> Thanks in advance,

There already is a standard library for this (libpci).
I see no reason to add this to DPDK.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Retrieve NIC vendor name using PCI vendor ID
@ 2017-09-10 18:55   ` Rosen, Rami
From: Rosen, Rami @ 2017-09-10 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger, george.dit; +Cc: users

Hi, George,

>There already is a standard library for this (libpci).
>I see no reason to add this to DPDK.

+1.

Follow in pciutils execution of, for example,
"lspci -d 8086:158b"
Where you get, for example:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 158b (rev 02)
(or any other vendrID:DeviceID combo).

I would guess that behinds the scenes it is done by pci_lookup_name():
https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/blob/master/lib/names.c#L122

Regards,
Rami Rosen

* Re: [dpdk-users] Retrieve NIC vendor name using PCI vendor ID
@ 2017-09-11  7:10     ` george.dit
From: george.dit @ 2017-09-11  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rosen, Rami; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, users

Hi Stephen and Rami,

I see your point, libpci seems to be the way to go.

Thanks,
Georgios