* [dpdk-users] Compile DPDK 17.11 with Mellanox NIC support
@ 2018-01-05  7:38 george.dit
From: george.dit @ 2018-01-05  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I noticed that DPDK 17.11 brought some changes regarding the Mellanox
drivers, hence my compilation script does not work for this version of DPDK.

Specifically, the release notes of this version state:

"Enabled the PMD to run on top of upstream Linux kernel and rdma-core libs,
removing the dependency on specific Mellanox OFED libraries."

Previously, I was setting CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MLX5_PMD but now, with this
option set I get build errors in drivers/net/mlx5/mlx5.c.

Could you please provide some guidance on how DPDK is expected to work
without OFED?
Is there any other configuration required?

Georgios Katsikas
Industrial Ph.D. Student
Network Intelligence Group
Decision, Networks, and Analytics (DNA) Lab
RISE SICS
E-Mail:  georgios.katsikas@ri.se

* Re: [dpdk-users] Compile DPDK 17.11 with Mellanox NIC support
@ 2018-01-05  7:46 ` Nelio Laranjeiro
From: Nelio Laranjeiro @ 2018-01-05  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george.dit; +Cc: users

Hi George

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 08:38:11AM +0100, george.dit@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that DPDK 17.11 brought some changes regarding the Mellanox
> drivers, hence my compilation script does not work for this version of DPDK.
>
> Specifically, the release notes of this version state:
>
> "Enabled the PMD to run on top of upstream Linux kernel and rdma-core libs,
> removing the dependency on specific Mellanox OFED libraries."
>
> Previously, I was setting CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_MLX5_PMD but now, with this
> option set I get build errors in drivers/net/mlx5/mlx5.c.
>
> Could you please provide some guidance on how DPDK is expected to work
> without OFED?
> Is there any other configuration required?

You should find anything useful in the NIC documentation [1], you have
two possibilities, keep using the distribution and install MLNX_OFED
4.2, or update the Linux Kernel and use RDMA-Core, both are explained in
he section "21.5.1. Installation".

Regards,

[1] https://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/mlx5.html

--
Nélio Laranjeiro
6WIND

* Re: [dpdk-users] Compile DPDK 17.11 with Mellanox NIC support
@ 2018-01-05  8:02   ` george.dit
From: george.dit @ 2018-01-05  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelio Laranjeiro; +Cc: users

Hi Nelio,

Thanks for the prompt reply and guidance!
My OFED version was 4.1, that's why I was unable to build DPDK 17.11.
With OFED 4.2 everything works on my kernel (v4.4)!

I have one more question: What is the suggested OFED version in order to
have a fully featured NIC with all the DPDK classification/offloading
capabilities?
My NICs are 100G ConnectX-4 (dual and single port).

Best regards,
Georgios

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Nelio Laranjeiro <nelio.laranjeiro@6wind.com

--

@ 2018-01-05  8:40     ` Nelio Laranjeiro
From: Nelio Laranjeiro @ 2018-01-05  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george.dit; +Cc: users

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 09:02:54AM +0100, george.dit@gmail.com wrote:
>    Hi Nelio,
>    Thanks for the prompt reply and guidance!
>    My OFED version was 4.1, that's why I was unable to build DPDK 17.11.
>    With OFED 4.2 everything works on my kernel (v4.4)!
>    I have one more question: What is the suggested OFED version in order to
>    have a fully featured NIC with all the DPDK classification/offloading
>    capabilities?
>    My NICs are 100G ConnectX-4 (dual and single port).
<snip/>

The one referenced in the documentation, you can still download and
install the latest GA from Mellanox website [1] (the link is also in the
documentation).
You can also take a look at features documentation page [2] on DPDK
documentation, those set to 'Y' are supported by the MLNX_OFED version
and (almost) by RDMA-Core.

Regards,

[1] http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=26&mtag=linux_sw_drivers&ssn=l6arvsaqjfc9t768ll2nqa9dh3
[2] https://dpdk.org/doc/guides/nics/overview.html

--
Nélio Laranjeiro
6WIND

* Re: [dpdk-users] Compile DPDK 17.11 with Mellanox NIC support
@ 2018-01-05  8:43       ` george.dit
From: george.dit @ 2018-01-05  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelio Laranjeiro; +Cc: users

Great, this is the OFED version I just got.
Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

Best regards,
Georgios

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:40 AM, Nelio Laranjeiro <nelio.laranjeiro@6wind.com

--

@ 2018-01-08  2:38         ` Hui Ling
From: Hui Ling @ 2018-01-08  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george.dit; +Cc: Nelio Laranjeiro, users

George,

So using OFED and its upstream libraries with DPDK 17.11 works for you?

Are you running DPDK on VM or with a physical NIC from MLNX?

Hui

@ 2018-01-08  5:00           ` george.dit
From: george.dit @ 2018-01-08  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hui Ling; +Cc: Nélio Laranjeiro, users

Hi Hui,

Yes it works after updating to OFED 4.2. I have a physical 100G NIC that
uses mlnx5.

Regards,
Georgios

@ 2018-03-01 13:18     ` wang.yong19
From: wang.yong19 @ 2018-03-01 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: george.dit; +Cc: nelio.laranjeiro, users

Hi,
I met the same problem.  My DPDK build environment is "CentOS7.0 + kernel 3.10.0-229.el7.x86_64".
I have download the OFED 4.2 and use the following command to install:
./mlnxofedinstall --skip-distro-check --dpdk --add-kernel-support
/etc/init.d/openibd restart
However, I still met error while I am compiling DPDK-17.11. The error information is :

In file included from /home/wangyong/dpdk-17.11/drivers/net/mlx4/mlx4.c:71:0:
/home/wangyong/dpdk-17.11/drivers/net/mlx4/mlx4_rxtx.h:44:31: fatal error: infiniband/mlx4dv.h: No such file or directory
 #include <infiniband/mlx4dv.h>
                               ^
compilation terminated.
make[6]: *** [mlx4.o] Error 1
make[5]: *** [mlx4] Error 2
make[4]: *** [net] Error 2
make[3]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [pre_install] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

I checked the "/usr/include/infiniband" directory and I couldn't find the mlx4dv.h file.
Are there any other configurations or steps required? Or the kernel version of linux can't be 3.10 ?

subject:Re: [dpdk-users] Compile DPDK 17.11 with Mellanox NIC support

--

@ 2018-03-01 13:25       ` Raslan Darawsheh
From: Raslan Darawsheh @ 2018-03-01 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wang.yong19, george.dit; +Cc: Nélio Laranjeiro, users

Hi,

I believe you are missing the --upstream-libs from OFED installation:

Try it as following:
./mlnxofedinstall --skip-distro-check --dpdk --add-kernel-support --upstream-libs /etc/init.d/openibd restart

Then rebuild your DPDK.

Kindest regards,
Raslan Darawsheh

--
Georgios Katsikas
Industrial Ph.D. Student
Network Intelligence Group
Decision, Networks, and Analytics (DNA) Lab RISE SICS
E-Mail:  georgios.katsikas@ri.se

* [dpdk-users] 答复: RE:  Compile DPDK 17.11 with Mellanox NIC support
@ 2018-03-01 13:44         ` wang.yong19
From: wang.yong19 @ 2018-03-01 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rasland; +Cc: george.dit, nelio.laranjeiro, users

Thanks for your advice.
It worked after I add the "--upstream-libs" parameter.
I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Wang Yong