* [dpdk-users] Newbie query: DPDK use case scenario
@ 2017-09-14 20:45 amit mehta
From: amit mehta @ 2017-09-14 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I work at a platform team in a Software Company. Our group
is responsible for providing and maintaining middleware software
for our applications team.

We have Linux boxes (x86_64 machines running Linux) and have DPDK
supported Intel NIC cards (I had a quick look at the DPDK website
and fortunately, we have such NICs in our Linux boxes).

I am fairly new to the entire fast network packet processing domain,
hence, I'm wondering :

1: if DPDK is something that our team can utilize for providing a
faster networking platform, which the applications team (say teams
that use standard unix networking interface to develop software)
can use ? or DPDK is relevant mostly for companies that build Core
Networking Hardware and Software products ?

2: If mine is indeed a valid use case for DPDK usage, then how
big could be the impact on the existing software ?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks,
Amit

--
Sent from Bahamas, while drinking chi-chi and piña colada.

* Re: [dpdk-users] Newbie query: DPDK use case scenario
@ 2017-09-15  5:07 ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2017-09-15  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amit mehta; +Cc: users

,----
| 1: if DPDK is something that our team can utilize for providing a
| faster networking platform, which the applications team (say teams
| that use standard unix networking interface to develop software)
| can use ? or DPDK is relevant mostly for companies that build Core
| Networking Hardware and Software products ?
`----
this would be very usecase dependent.

fwiw, dpdk doesnt really come with a canonical network stack, and you
would need something for app folks to use.

if you look at bunch of sample applications
(http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/index.html) you can get a
fair idea of effort etc. required for your usecase.

--
kind regards
anupam

In the beginning was the lambda, and the lambda was with Emacs, and Emacs
was the lambda.

@ 2017-09-15 12:15   ` amit mehta
From: amit mehta @ 2017-09-15 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anupam Kapoor; +Cc: users

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Anupam Kapoor <anupam.kapoor@gmail.com> wrote:
> ,----
> | 1: if DPDK is something that our team can utilize for providing a
> | faster networking platform, which the applications team (say teams
> | that use standard unix networking interface to develop software)
> | can use ? or DPDK is relevant mostly for companies that build Core
> | Networking Hardware and Software products ?
> `----
> this would be very usecase dependent.
>
> fwiw, dpdk doesnt really come with a canonical network stack, and you
> would need something for app folks to use.
>
> if you look at bunch of sample applications
> (http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/index.html) you can get a
> fair idea of effort etc. required for your usecase.

Thank you for the pointers. I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Amit

--
Sent from Bahamas, while drinking chi-chi and piña colada.