From: Ajinkya D Kadam <ajinkya.kadam@nyu.edu>
To: Paul Emmerich <emmericp@net.in.tum.de>
Cc: users@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] TimeStamping Packets Generated and Received via Pktgen Application
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 04:01:17 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I was reading through your paper and I think this tool will be much more
helpful to me. Btw I am using quad X710 and dual X520 NICs.

Is this [1] the right code to look at if i want to see how you have
achieved hardware based time stamping ?

In addition, I want to confirm my understanding of why MoonGen is better
than PktGen in time stamping context.
PktGen reads the value of rdtsc which it then appends to packet, this adds
more delay and hence the precision is bad.

In case of MoonGen how does this work ? I am not sure. Could you please
elaborate ?

Thanks,
Ajinkya

[1]