* [dpdk-users] Suggestion: DPDK "latest" Download Links
@ 2018-08-20 19:03 Justin Parus
From: Justin Parus @ 2018-08-20 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I would like to propose adding DPDK "latest" download links. For example dpdk-latest-major and dpdk-latest-stable, would automatically update and point to the most recent date major and stable releases respectively. This would be useful for our tests as they would always be testing the latest packages automatically.

Thanks,
Justin

* Re: [dpdk-users] Suggestion: DPDK "latest" Download Links
@ 2018-08-22  9:58 ` Ferruh Yigit
       [not found]   ` <10660669.gPjk7PcmS0@xps>
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-08-22  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Parus, users; +Cc: tdelanerolle, Thomas Monjalon

On 8/20/2018 8:03 PM, Justin Parus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose adding DPDK "latest" download links. For example dpdk-latest-major and dpdk-latest-stable, would automatically update and point to the most recent date major and stable releases respectively. This would be useful for our tests as they would always be testing the latest packages automatically.

+1, looks good idea

cc'ed Thomas & Trishan.

@ 2018-08-23 21:55     ` Madhan Sivakumar
From: Madhan Sivakumar @ 2018-08-23 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Ferruh Yigit, Justin Parus; +Cc: users, tdelanerolle

Thomas, it would be super useful to have this in order to make sure the underlying platform is not broken with any version update. We don't expect code changes in application unless there is a breaking API change right? This would be good to identify it too as part of automation.

> On 8/20/2018 8:03 PM, Justin Parus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose adding DPDK "latest" download links. For example dpdk-latest-major and dpdk-latest-stable, would automatically update and point to the most recent date major and stable releases respectively. This would be useful for our tests as they would always be testing the latest packages automatically.
>
> +1, looks good idea

I am not sure how useful it is.
When you change from one major version to another one, you often have to adapt your code, so it cannot be automatic.

I see more values in having a link for the latest version of each stable branch.