* [dpdk-users] igb_uio.ko is not generated via make/dpdk-setup.sh
@ 2020-04-16  6:36 Hideyuki Yamashita
From: Hideyuki Yamashita @ 2020-04-16  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I have problem with dpdk-20.02 when compiling.

[1. What is the problem]
igb_uio.ko is not generated under build/kmod/ directory
thus I can not load/bind NIC with igb_uio.

[2.Which platform]
x86_64
Ubuntu 18.04.04 LTS

[3.Which build target]
x86_64-native-linux-gcc
x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc

I used dpdk-20.02 tarball which can be downloaded via website.

[4.How I compiled source]
I tried the follwoing two ways but both failed to generate igb_uio
module.

4a
#sudo make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
#sudo make install T=x86_64-native-linux-gcc

4b
[for 19.11]
[38] x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
[45] Insert IGB UIO module
[50] Display current Ethernet/Baseband/Crypto device settings

All successful

[for 20.02]
[41] x86_64-native-linux-gcc
[45] Insert IGB UIO module

Option: 45

## ERROR: Target does not have the DPDK UIO Kernel Module.
       To fix, please try to rebuild target.

[for 20.02]
[38] x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
[45] Insert IGB UIO module

Option: 45

## ERROR: Target does not have the DPDK UIO Kernel Module.
       To fix, please try to rebuild target.

With regard to 19.11, using usertools/dpdk-setup.sh
perfectly worked. However something looks wrong with
20.02.
I've heard that building system is moving from "make"
to "meason". But following the official document
"make" is still supported. So for me it is very odd.

Thanks in advance!

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross

* Re: [dpdk-users] igb_uio.ko is not generated via make/dpdk-setup.sh
@ 2020-04-17  6:17 ` Hideyuki Yamashita
       [not found]   ` <0D293C5FA1DB70FF@nttdocomo.co.jp>
From: Hideyuki Yamashita @ 2020-04-17  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, Hideyuki Yamashita

Hello Experts,

Can anybody help me out?

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross

> Hello,
>
> I have problem with dpdk-20.02 when compiling.
>
> [1. What is the problem]
> igb_uio.ko is not generated under build/kmod/ directory
> thus I can not load/bind NIC with igb_uio.
>
> [2.Which platform]
> x86_64
> Ubuntu 18.04.04 LTS
>
> [3.Which build target]
> x86_64-native-linux-gcc
> x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
>
> I used dpdk-20.02 tarball which can be downloaded via website.
>
> [4.How I compiled source]
> I tried the follwoing two ways but both failed to generate igb_uio
> module.
>
> 4a
> #sudo make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
> #sudo make install T=x86_64-native-linux-gcc
>
> 4b
> [for 19.11]
> [38] x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
> [45] Insert IGB UIO module
> [50] Display current Ethernet/Baseband/Crypto device settings
>
> All successful
>
> [for 20.02]
> [41] x86_64-native-linux-gcc
> [45] Insert IGB UIO module
>
> Option: 45
>
> ## ERROR: Target does not have the DPDK UIO Kernel Module.
>        To fix, please try to rebuild target.
>
> [for 20.02]
> [38] x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
> [45] Insert IGB UIO module
>
> Option: 45
>
> ## ERROR: Target does not have the DPDK UIO Kernel Module.
>        To fix, please try to rebuild target.
>
> With regard to 19.11, using usertools/dpdk-setup.sh
> perfectly worked. However something looks wrong with
> 20.02.
> I've heard that building system is moving from "make"
> to "meason". But following the official document
> "make" is still supported. So for me it is very odd.
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> BR,
> Hideyuki Yamashita
> NTT TechnoCross

* [dpdk-users] 答复:  igb_uio.ko is not generated via make/dpdk-setup.sh
@ 2020-04-17  7:51   ` 宋捷
       [not found]   ` <0D293C5FA1DB70FF@nttdocomo.co.jp>
From: 宋捷 @ 2020-04-17  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hideyuki Yamashita', users

I get the same issue,
I build DPDK 20.02 with "make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc", there
is not kmod folder under x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc.
So I have to copy kmod from dpdk-stable-19.11.1 into DPDK 20.02, the igb_uio
source code is same between these two version.

> I have problem with dpdk-20.02 when compiling.
>
> [1. What is the problem]
> igb_uio.ko is not generated under build/kmod/ directory thus I can not
> load/bind NIC with igb_uio.
>
> [2.Which platform]
> x86_64
> Ubuntu 18.04.04 LTS
>
> [3.Which build target]
> x86_64-native-linux-gcc
> x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
>
> I used dpdk-20.02 tarball which can be downloaded via website.
>
> [4.How I compiled source]
> I tried the follwoing two ways but both failed to generate igb_uio
> module.
>
> 4a
> #sudo make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc #sudo make install
> T=x86_64-native-linux-gcc
>
> 4b
> [for 19.11]
> [38] x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
> [45] Insert IGB UIO module
> [50] Display current Ethernet/Baseband/Crypto device settings
>
> All successful
>
> [for 20.02]
> [41] x86_64-native-linux-gcc
> [45] Insert IGB UIO module
>
> Option: 45
>
> ## ERROR: Target does not have the DPDK UIO Kernel Module.
>        To fix, please try to rebuild target.
>
> [for 20.02]
> [38] x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
> [45] Insert IGB UIO module
>
> Option: 45
>
> ## ERROR: Target does not have the DPDK UIO Kernel Module.
>        To fix, please try to rebuild target.
>
> With regard to 19.11, using usertools/dpdk-setup.sh perfectly worked.
> However something looks wrong with 20.02.
> I've heard that building system is moving from "make"
> to "meason". But following the official document "make" is still
> supported. So for me it is very odd.
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> BR,
> Hideyuki Yamashita
> NTT TechnoCross

* Re: [dpdk-users] 答?:  igb_uio.ko is not generated via make/dpdk-setup.sh
       [not found]   ` <0D293C5FA1DB70FF@nttdocomo.co.jp>
@ 2020-04-17  8:02     ` Hideyuki Yamashita
From: Hideyuki Yamashita @ 2020-04-17  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋捷; +Cc: users

Hello Songi,

Thanks for your checking the issue.

I think that considering that two person encountered the same issue,
it looks that it is not coincident.
It is highly possible that there is some problem with building "make"
system.

If I deeply look into make file, I can fix my problem.
But I am not good at looking/analyzing make file.

So DPDK experts,
I need, we need some explanation or fix for this isssue!

Thanks for your help.

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross

@ 2020-04-17  8:59       ` Trahe, Fiona
From: Trahe, Fiona @ 2020-04-17  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hideyuki Yamashita, 宋捷; +Cc: users, Trahe, Fiona

Hi

Have you tried setting CONFIG_RTE_EAL_IGB_UIO=y in the config file.
The default has changed from y to n in some recent release.
as it is more advisable to use vfio-pci instead.

Fiona

@ 2020-04-20 10:02         ` Hideyuki Yamashita
From: Hideyuki Yamashita @ 2020-04-20 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trahe, Fiona; +Cc: 宋捷, users

Hello Fiona,

Thanks for your response.
In short,
you are absolutely correct! Thanks!

When I changed the config and re-compile DPDK, IGB_UIO genereated.
However no documents about this default behavior change.

In my opinion, it may be "kind" if such change is clearly documented.

BR,
Hideyuki Yamashita
NTT TechnoCross

@ 2020-04-20 12:23           ` Trahe, Fiona
From: Trahe, Fiona @ 2020-04-20 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hideyuki Yamashita; +Cc: 宋捷, users, Trahe, Fiona

Good that it's resolved, I learned the hard way too and got caught out by it.
But I just checked and it is mentioned in the release notes - I guess we should have read them 😊
http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/rel_notes/release_20_02.html