* Re: [dpdk-users] Cannot run DPDK applications using Mellanox NIC - "PMD: net_mlx4: 0x55b8d8015b00: cannot attach flow rules (code 12, "Cannot allocate memory"), flow error type 2, cause 0x7f9ee4028200, message: flow rule rejected by device"
@ 2019-05-09 13:02 Greg O'Rawe
From: Greg O'Rawe @ 2019-05-09 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem to the one you raised to the dpdk-users list in this thread:
https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/users/2018-October/003620.html

Were you ever able to resolve this issue to get DPDK working with the Mellanox Connect3-X card?

Many thanks

Greg O'Rawe

This message, including attachments, is CONFIDENTIAL. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you received this email by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages sent to and from Enea may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, a mended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of email transmission. Anyone who communicates with us by email accepts these risks.

@ 2018-10-26 20:27 Junzhi Gong
From: Junzhi Gong @ 2018-10-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi everyone,

Currently I have some trouble running DPDK applications using Mellanox NIC. All DPDK applications running with the Mellanox NIC (using SR-IOV VFs) will crash with the following error message:

PMD: net_mlx4: 0x559fa4a25b00: cannot attach flow rules (code 12, "Cannot allocate memory"), flow error type 2, cause 0x7f0ca7e47a80, message: flow rule rejected by device
EAL: Error - exiting with code: 1
  Cause: rte_eth_dev_start:err=-12, port=0

An example running click has the following error messages:

$ click --dpdk -l 1 -n 4 -w 0000:04:00.1 —- xxx.click

EAL: Detected 12 lcore(s)
EAL: Detected 1 NUMA nodes
EAL: Multi-process socket /var/run/dpdk/rte/mp_socket
EAL: No free hugepages reported in hugepages-1048576kB
EAL: Probing VFIO support...
EAL: PCI device 0000:04:00.1 on NUMA socket 0
EAL:   probe driver: 15b3:1004 net_mlx4
PMD: net_mlx4: PCI information matches, using device "mlx4_1" (VF: true)
PMD: net_mlx4: 1 port(s) detected
PMD: net_mlx4: port 1 MAC address is 6a:f5:c3:1e:09:eb
Initializing DPDK
PMD: net_mlx4: 0x559471c5b700: cannot attach flow rules (code 12, "Cannot allocate memory"), flow error type 2, cause 0x7f620462c940, message: flow rule rejected by device
mazu-nat.click:68: While initializing ‘FromDPDKDevice@3 :: FromDPDKDevice’:
  Cannot start DPDK port 0: error -12

0000:04:00.1 is the PCI address of the VF of the Mellanox NIC. I have tried several different DPDK applications (all applications have been re-compiled using the new configured DPDK), and I have also tried reboot the OS, but the problem still exists.

I am using Mellanox NIC and its SR-IOV functions ('MT27500/MT27520 Family [ConnectX-3/ConnectX-3 Pro Virtual Function]' in details). The OS is Ubuntu 18.04. I have installed the Mellanox OFED (version 4.4, only the newest version is compatible to Ubuntu 18.04) and configure it by instructions in DPDK doc page (https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx4.html <https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx4.html>). The DPDK version is 18.08. I do not bind the Mellanox NIC to DPDK driver because the driver mlx4_core should be used for Mellanox NICs. Currently I am using 2MB hugepages (number: 1024).

I am very grateful if you can solve my problem. Thank you!

Best,
Junzhi