* [dpdk-users]  KNI vhost support has been removed from 17.05
@ 2017-11-20  9:34 Zhao, Bing
From: Zhao, Bing @ 2017-11-20  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ferruh.yigit, users; +Cc: bing.zhao

Hello Yigit,
     I searched from the Internet about the KNI vhost support. And from
your slides "Interworking with the Linux Kernel" in Dublin, 2016, it is
said that the support was planned to be removed because no user use it.
And from the release notes of 17.05, it is mentioned, as title, the
support is removed. I searched the archive mails and only limited
information could be found. So it there any technical discussion about
this? And will this be added back in the future or removed forever?

Many thanks in advance~

BR. Bing

* Re: [dpdk-users] KNI vhost support has been removed from 17.05
@ 2017-11-20 19:19 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2017-11-20 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhao, Bing, users; +Cc: bing.zhao

On 11/20/2017 1:34 AM, Zhao, Bing wrote:
> Hello Yigit,
>      I searched from the Internet about the KNI vhost support. And from
> your slides "Interworking with the Linux Kernel" in Dublin, 2016, it is
> said that the support was planned to be removed because no user use it.
> And from the release notes of 17.05, it is mentioned, as title, the
> support is removed. I searched the archive mails and only limited
> information could be found. So it there any technical discussion about
> this? And will this be added back in the future or removed forever?

Hi Bing,

There was no discussion, but also there was no comment to the patch that removes
the support, nobody objected it.

The KNI vhost is from times there was no vhost support exists, now it is
possible to use vhost.

And there is no plan to put it back. Are you an user of that feature?

Thanks,
ferruh

@ 2017-11-21  2:03   ` Zhao, Bing
From: Zhao, Bing @ 2017-11-21  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: bing.zhao, users

Hello Ferruh,

On 2017/11/21 3:19, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 1:34 AM, Zhao, Bing wrote:
> > Hello Yigit,
> >       I searched from the Internet about the KNI vhost support. And from
> > your slides "Interworking with the Linux Kernel" in Dublin, 2016, it is
> > said that the support was planned to be removed because no user use it.
> > And from the release notes of 17.05, it is mentioned, as title, the
> > support is removed. I searched the archive mails and only limited
> > information could be found. So it there any technical discussion about
> > this? And will this be added back in the future or removed forever?
>
> Hi Bing,
>
> There was no discussion, but also there was no comment to the patch that removes
> the support, nobody objected it.
>
> The KNI vhost is from times there was no vhost support exists, now it is
> possible to use vhost.
>
> And there is no plan to put it back. Are you an user of that feature?
>
> Thanks,
> ferruh
>

> > Many thanks in advance~
> >
> > BR. Bing

Many thanks for your information. I am not a user of that feature but some learner. I am trying to find out all the basic combination used for the virtualization. So I assume that as shown in your slides, the following alternative solutions could be used:
1. Tun/Tap - Recently tap PMD patch sent
2. af_packet
3. virtio-user + vhost-net
4. Bifurcated driver
Am I right? Or is there any new feature?

BR. Bing