DPDK CI discussions
 help / color / Atom feed
* [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
@ 2020-08-27 18:49 Lincoln Lavoie
  2020-09-01 13:16 ` Ali Alnubani
  2020-09-02 20:43 ` Thomas Monjalon
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Lincoln Lavoie @ 2020-08-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ci

August 27, 2020

###########################################################
Attendees
###########################################################

1. Lincoln Lavoie
2. Trishan de Lanerolle
3. James Hendergart
4. Aaron Conole
5. Ali Alnubani
6. Brandon Lo
7. David Liu
8. Juraj Linkes
9. Owen Hilyard
10. Ruifeng Wang
11. Tomasz Zawadzki
12. Zhaoyan Chen

###########################################################
Agenda
###########################################################

1. Board Updates
2. CI Status
3. Test Development
4. Any other business

###########################################################
Minutes
###########################################################

================================================
Updates from August Board meeting
================================================
Questions from the board:
   * Concern over having DTS requirement for testing, compared to pure
unit tests (i.e. code in DPDK proper)
Techboard Updates
   * Met August 26, discussing the testing requirement topic in email.
This topic is “what requirements should be for test cases when new
features are submitted to DPDK, i.e. should merge be blocked, if test
cases are not provided with the patch.”

================================================
CI Status
================================================

Travis CI
   * BUG-508: Missing reports in Travis CI
      * Aaron reached out, but David is on PTO, so additional follow
up may be required.  May be related to some Travis builds failing due
to an infrastructure issue.

OBS
   * A big “chunk” if the upstream pull request, but there is still a
little more to do.  Aaron should be able to pick up this work next
week.

Intel Lab
   * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for
the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)

UNH-IOL Community Lab
   * Status
      * Intel 10G system is offline for integration for additional
functional tests.
      * Broadcom system (25G) is also offline, while the 100G issues
are being debugged.
      * Results for patch sets are now sent for the last patch in the
set, this should align with the changes Intel lab made as well.
      * SPDK downstream test is now using the 20.07 release git repo.
Had to add one additional dependence, the script pkgdep.sh should help
with streamlining this in the future.
      * Deployment of Functional Test Cases
         * Internal testing of 12 additional functional cases on Intel
10G, working ones will be moving to production while upstream reports
of broken ones will be made.
            * May need to bring up the tests that do not run due to
lack of supported drivers.
         * Functional test results are now emailed to patchworks
separated by vendor.
            * Currently only Intel supports functional testing while
we are working on improving test coverage on one vendor.
         * Broadcom has functional testing supported, but we are
working on getting the 100G NIC up and running before putting the
system back into production.
   * BUG-489: Broadcom 100G NIC Upgrade
   * BUG-408: ARM Hardware
      * Hardware is ready for shipping, and they will be contacting
UNH for shipping details.
   * BUG-504: DTS Upgrade on Mellanox Systems
      * Also investigating the cause of change to pause config applied
to the interface (i.e. flow control).  Only changes when DTS brings
the interfaces up / down and does the driver rebinding operations.

General
   * BUG-511: Check if performance tests are needed
      * Still looking for volunteers to help implement the scripts

================================================
Test Development
================================================

Completed Features
   1. MTU Update
   2. Basic stats
   3. Speed Capabilities
   4. Checksum offload checks
   5. Multicast Mac Filtering
   6. RSS Key Update
   7. L3 and L4 Checksum Offload
   8. Multicast mac address filter
   9. Linux Kernel Module VFIO Testing
   10. Linux Kernel Module UIO Testing
   11. FW Version  (new)
   12. Rx Interrupt (submitted, not yet merged)

Features in Progress
   1. Speed Capabilities
      * Pending updates to testpmd (BUG-496), just keeping here to
track status, etc.
   2. Inner RSS
      * Currently stalled by
https://bugs.dpdk.org/show_bug.cgi?id=530. There doesn’t appear to be
a way to access information about this through testpmd.
   3. QinQ offload
      * Some fixes have been made to vlan_ethertype_config to help
speed it up and make it more consistent. qinq_filter, which more
heavily tests offloading. We’re not able to be tested on our end since
we don’t believe we have any hardware that supports the feature
correctly.
   4. Module EEPROM Dump
      * Patch submitted to dpdk to add functionality in the testpmd to
allow output of EEPROM, we will implement feedback received on the
patch.
      * There is a limited way to test this feature, because the
returned PROM data is opaque.   One option could use tools external to
DPDK to also download PROM, then compare the images.  But that would
add additional dependencies to DTS for what tools need to be available
on the DUT.
   5. Rte_flow
      * We are currently looking into the scope of the API and the few
test cases that already touch the API to develop the list of test
cases.
      * Tests will need to allow for different supported actions on
each NIC / driver.  Release notes for each PMD should list the support
actions.

================================================
Any other business
================================================
* https://bugs.dpdk.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=IN_PROGRESS&columnlist=product%2Ccomponent%2Cpriority%2Cbug_status%2Cassigned_to%2Cshort_desc%2Cchangeddate&component=job%20scripts&component=UNH%20infra&component=Intel%20Lab&component=Travis%20CI&list_id=2663&order=priority%2Cchangeddate%20DESC&product=lab&query_format=advanced&resolution=---


-- 
Lincoln Lavoie
Senior Engineer, Broadband Technologies
21 Madbury Rd., Ste. 100, Durham, NH 03824
lylavoie@iol.unh.edu
https://www.iol.unh.edu
+1-603-674-2755 (m)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
  2020-08-27 18:49 [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020 Lincoln Lavoie
@ 2020-09-01 13:16 ` Ali Alnubani
  2020-09-02 20:43 ` Thomas Monjalon
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2020-09-01 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Lavoie, Brandon Lo, David Liu; +Cc: ci

Hi,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ci <ci-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Lincoln Lavoie
> Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 9:50 PM
> To: ci@dpdk.org
> Subject: [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
> 
> August 27, 2020
> 
<snip>
> 
> Features in Progress
<snip>
>    4. Module EEPROM Dump
>       * Patch submitted to dpdk to add functionality in the testpmd to allow
> output of EEPROM, we will implement feedback received on the patch.
>       * There is a limited way to test this feature, because the
> returned PROM data is opaque.   One option could use tools external to
> DPDK to also download PROM, then compare the images.  But that would
> add additional dependencies to DTS for what tools need to be available on
> the DUT.

I agree with just comparing to the output of other programs. We can use 'ethtool' for that, which I believe already comes pre-installed in most distributions, and is already a dependency for DTS.

>    5. Rte_flow
>       * We are currently looking into the scope of the API and the few test
> cases that already touch the API to develop the list of test cases.
>       * Tests will need to allow for different supported actions on each NIC /
> driver.  Release notes for each PMD should list the support actions.
> 

I think I confused the release notes with PMD documentation when I suggested this (sorry about that), and I think it's going to be less obvious to figure out which actions/items are supported per PMD/NIC.
For MLX5, the supported actions are in the table in this section https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx5.html#supported-hardware-offloads, but other PMDs might not use the same documentation format.
I will try to collect and provide more information to help with what's supported (or not) on the Mellanox NICs.

Regards,
Ali

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
  2020-08-27 18:49 [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020 Lincoln Lavoie
  2020-09-01 13:16 ` Ali Alnubani
@ 2020-09-02 20:43 ` Thomas Monjalon
  2020-09-02 21:22   ` Lincoln Lavoie
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-09-02 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ci; +Cc: Lincoln Lavoie

27/08/2020 20:49, Lincoln Lavoie:
> Intel Lab
>    * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for
> the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)

We can stop testing "make" on the main branch.
Meson will be the only supported build system starting 20.11 release.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
  2020-09-02 20:43 ` Thomas Monjalon
@ 2020-09-02 21:22   ` Lincoln Lavoie
  2020-09-02 21:25     ` Thomas Monjalon
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Lincoln Lavoie @ 2020-09-02 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: ci

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 706 bytes --]

Hi Thomas,

I thought we had said that would happen with the 20.11 release, but up
until then, we should keep running it.

Cheers,
Lincoln

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> 27/08/2020 20:49, Lincoln Lavoie:
> > Intel Lab
> >    * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for
> > the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)
>
> We can stop testing "make" on the main branch.
> Meson will be the only supported build system starting 20.11 release.
>
>
>

-- 
*Lincoln Lavoie*
Senior Engineer, Broadband Technologies
21 Madbury Rd., Ste. 100, Durham, NH 03824
lylavoie@iol.unh.edu
https://www.iol.unh.edu
+1-603-674-2755 (m)
<https://www.iol.unh.edu>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1999 bytes --]

<div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Hi Thomas,</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">I thought we had said that would happen with the 20.11 release, but up until then, we should keep running it.</div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small"><br></div><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Cheers,<br>Lincoln</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Thomas Monjalon &lt;<a href="mailto:thomas@monjalon.net">thomas@monjalon.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">27/08/2020 20:49, Lincoln Lavoie:<br>
&gt; Intel Lab<br>
&gt;    * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for<br>
&gt; the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)<br>
<br>
We can stop testing &quot;make&quot; on the main branch.<br>
Meson will be the only supported build system starting 20.11 release.<br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear="all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div><b>Lincoln Lavoie</b><br></div><div>Senior Engineer, Broadband Technologies</div><div>21 Madbury Rd., Ste. 100, Durham, NH 03824</div><div><a href="mailto:lylavoie@iol.unh.edu" target="_blank">lylavoie@iol.unh.edu</a></div><div><a href="https://www.iol.unh.edu" target="_blank">https://www.iol.unh.edu</a></div><div>+1-603-674-2755 (m)</div><div><a href="https://www.iol.unh.edu" target="_blank"><img src="https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&amp;id=1j_iI6anwrnbQWNpTyuvukMLSNJJ8_8QU&amp;revid=0B_0ujwABDnFZTmJiR3EzK0d1VjFKTjQvMENBWVM0QnA4ajhjPQ" width="200" height="43"></a><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
  2020-09-02 21:22   ` Lincoln Lavoie
@ 2020-09-02 21:25     ` Thomas Monjalon
  2020-09-02 21:28       ` Lincoln Lavoie
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-09-02 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Lavoie; +Cc: ci

02/09/2020 23:22, Lincoln Lavoie:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
> > 27/08/2020 20:49, Lincoln Lavoie:
> > > Intel Lab
> > >    * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for
> > > the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)
> >
> > We can stop testing "make" on the main branch.
> > Meson will be the only supported build system starting 20.11 release.
> 
> I thought we had said that would happen with the 20.11 release, but up
> until then, we should keep running it.

I would recommend stopping now for main branch.
It doesn't make sense rejecting a patch which breaks "make",
especially the patches removing "make" support ;)



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020
  2020-09-02 21:25     ` Thomas Monjalon
@ 2020-09-02 21:28       ` Lincoln Lavoie
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Lincoln Lavoie @ 2020-09-02 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: ci

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1065 bytes --]

Added https://bugs.dpdk.org/show_bug.cgi?id=534 to track this.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 5:25 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> 02/09/2020 23:22, Lincoln Lavoie:
> > On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
> wrote:
> > > 27/08/2020 20:49, Lincoln Lavoie:
> > > > Intel Lab
> > > >    * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for
> > > > the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)
> > >
> > > We can stop testing "make" on the main branch.
> > > Meson will be the only supported build system starting 20.11 release.
> >
> > I thought we had said that would happen with the 20.11 release, but up
> > until then, we should keep running it.
>
> I would recommend stopping now for main branch.
> It doesn't make sense rejecting a patch which breaks "make",
> especially the patches removing "make" support ;)
>
>
>

-- 
*Lincoln Lavoie*
Senior Engineer, Broadband Technologies
21 Madbury Rd., Ste. 100, Durham, NH 03824
lylavoie@iol.unh.edu
https://www.iol.unh.edu
+1-603-674-2755 (m)
<https://www.iol.unh.edu>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2347 bytes --]

<div dir="ltr"><div class="gmail_default" style="font-size:small">Added <a href="https://bugs.dpdk.org/show_bug.cgi?id=534">https://bugs.dpdk.org/show_bug.cgi?id=534</a> to track this.</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 5:25 PM Thomas Monjalon &lt;<a href="mailto:thomas@monjalon.net">thomas@monjalon.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">02/09/2020 23:22, Lincoln Lavoie:<br>
&gt; On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:43 PM Thomas Monjalon &lt;<a href="mailto:thomas@monjalon.net" target="_blank">thomas@monjalon.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; 27/08/2020 20:49, Lincoln Lavoie:<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Intel Lab<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;    * Working on transition to Meson build, which will be needed for<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; the 2020.11 release (tracked BUG-xyz)<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; We can stop testing &quot;make&quot; on the main branch.<br>
&gt; &gt; Meson will be the only supported build system starting 20.11 release.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I thought we had said that would happen with the 20.11 release, but up<br>
&gt; until then, we should keep running it.<br>
<br>
I would recommend stopping now for main branch.<br>
It doesn&#39;t make sense rejecting a patch which breaks &quot;make&quot;,<br>
especially the patches removing &quot;make&quot; support ;)<br>
<br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear="all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div><b>Lincoln Lavoie</b><br></div><div>Senior Engineer, Broadband Technologies</div><div>21 Madbury Rd., Ste. 100, Durham, NH 03824</div><div><a href="mailto:lylavoie@iol.unh.edu" target="_blank">lylavoie@iol.unh.edu</a></div><div><a href="https://www.iol.unh.edu" target="_blank">https://www.iol.unh.edu</a></div><div>+1-603-674-2755 (m)</div><div><a href="https://www.iol.unh.edu" target="_blank"><img src="https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&amp;id=1j_iI6anwrnbQWNpTyuvukMLSNJJ8_8QU&amp;revid=0B_0ujwABDnFZTmJiR3EzK0d1VjFKTjQvMENBWVM0QnA4ajhjPQ" width="200" height="43"></a><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-08-27 18:49 [dpdk-ci] Community CI Meeting Minutes - August 27, 2020 Lincoln Lavoie
2020-09-01 13:16 ` Ali Alnubani
2020-09-02 20:43 ` Thomas Monjalon
2020-09-02 21:22   ` Lincoln Lavoie
2020-09-02 21:25     ` Thomas Monjalon
2020-09-02 21:28       ` Lincoln Lavoie

DPDK CI discussions

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror http://inbox.dpdk.org/ci/0 ci/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 ci ci/ http://inbox.dpdk.org/ci \
		ci@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index ci


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.ci


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox