* RE: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-16 10:39 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2022-02-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, dev

My answer is at the end.Sent from a smartphone. Please pardon brevity and spelling.
-------- Oprindelig besked --------Fra: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com> Dato: 16/02/2022  11.15  (GMT+01:00) Til: Morten Brørup <mb@smartsharesystems.com> Cc: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>, dev@dpdk.org Emne: Re: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:05:09AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:> > From: Bruce Richardson [mailto:bruce.richardson@intel.com]> > Sent: Wednesday, 16 February 2022 10.33> > > > On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 03:00:56PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:> > > Yet another case of applying Linux kernel best practices> > > to DPDK. Flexible arrays are supported by Clang, GCC and> > > Microsoft compilers (part of C99).> > >> > Do we need to start explicitly stating that DPDK uses C99 features, and> > adding -std=c99 to our build flags? Are we also requiring that> > applications> > are compiled with c99 features to use this (I would hope that they are,> > but> > I'm not sure we can mandate it).> > No to -std=c99. It's >= C99 for applications; we should not prevent them from using a newer C standard.Yes. For build flags, I was referring only to having it in the cflags for thebuild of DPDK itself, not for apps. We definitely need to minimise thebuild flags we expose to apps.> > Adding a note about the C standard version to the DPDK requirements> documentation would be very nice. It only mentions a certain compiler> version required. But I think that documenting the detailed build and> runtime requirements (and why they are that way) is another task.> Sure, we should do that. I am just wanting to be sure that if we specify aminimum of C99, we won't get complaints back from those with legacycodebasees which only support C89/C90. I am therefore wondering if we needto have our public headers C90-compliant?/BruceWe are publicly using C11 for atomics [1]. I'm not sure if that also implies that we are requiring C11 generally.Otherwise,  I agree with your concerns about old code bases.[1]https://www.dpdk.org/blog/2021/03/26/dpdk-adopts-the-c11-memory-model/-Morten

* Re: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-17  8:32 ` Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2022-02-17  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: Bruce Richardson, Stephen Hemminger, dev

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:39:30AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:
> My answer is at the end.Sent from a smartphone. Please pardon brevity and spelling.

> I am therefore wondering if we needto have our public headers C90-compliant?/BruceWe are publicly using C11 for atomics [1]. I'm not sure if that also implies that we are requiring C11 generally. Otherwise,  I agree with your concerns about old code bases. [1]https://www.dpdk.org/blog/2021/03/26/dpdk-adopts-the-c11-memory-model

we aren't actually using C11 atomics. we are using gcc builtin atomics
that follow the C11 memory model for accessing atomics.

so strictly speaking we don't need to make the minimum a C11 compiler.

i suspect a lot of pushback would occur if we made C11 a minimum.  so
for atomics i would make the suggestion that we abstract atomics to
permit C11 atomics to be used when a C11 compiler with stdatomic is
available.

* Re: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-24 23:03           ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-24 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: Tyler Retzlaff, Bruce Richardson, dev

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 22:51:31 +0100
Morten Brørup <mb@smartsharesystems.com> wrote:

> [...]

Would be good, but still getting held back by legacy distros (RHEL)
and other compiler environments ICC, etc.

* RE: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-24 21:51         ` Morten Brørup

-Morten

* Re: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-17  8:09 ` Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2022-02-17  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 03:00:56PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Yet another case of applying Linux kernel best practices
> to DPDK. Flexible arrays are supported by Clang, GCC and
> Microsoft compilers (part of C99).

Series-Acked-by: Tyler Retzlaff <roretzla@linux.microsoft.com>

subject to the outcome of documenting C99 compiler as a minimum
requirement.

* Re: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-17  7:41       ` Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2022-02-17  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Morten Brørup, Stephen Hemminger, dev

@ 2022-02-16 18:56   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2022-02-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 09:33:02 +0000
Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 03:00:56PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Yet another case of applying Linux kernel best practices
> > to DPDK. Flexible arrays are supported by Clang, GCC and
> > Microsoft compilers (part of C99).
> >
> Do we need to start explicitly stating that DPDK uses C99 features, and
> adding -std=c99 to our build flags? Are we also requiring that applications
> are compiled with c99 features to use this (I would hope that they are, but
> I'm not sure we can mandate it).

There are already many uses of flex array in DPDK. This is nothing new.

* Re: [RFC 0/2] Eliminate zero length arrays in DPDK
@ 2022-02-16 10:10     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2022-02-16 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2022-02-16 10:05   ` Morten Brørup

@ 2022-02-16  9:33 ` Bruce Richardson