* [dpdk-dev] dpdk-20.11 is really released as LTS?
@ 2021-02-09 10:55 hamidreza Kheirabadi
From: hamidreza Kheirabadi @ 2021-02-09 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
I used previous versions of dpdk (like 18.05) in my project very well.
Recently I decided to migrate to 20.11 but I have lots of problems with it.
I built it with meson and ninja as described in docs but no .ko has been
built. The structure of examples also changed and was replaced by a single
huge file. Is it really tested and published as LTS?
Regards,
hamid

* Re: [dpdk-dev] dpdk-20.11 is really released as LTS?
@ 2021-02-09 11:55 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2021-02-09 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hamidreza Kheirabadi; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 02:25:19PM +0330, hamidreza Kheirabadi wrote:
> Hi,
> I used previous versions of dpdk (like 18.05) in my project very well.
> Recently I decided to migrate to 20.11 but I have lots of problems with it.
> I built it with meson and ninja as described in docs but no .ko has been
> built.

The kernel modules are no longer built by default, and the igb_uio module
has been moved out of the main repository to a separate one. For igb_uio,
it is recommended you use vfio-pci module from the upstream kernel instead
(it's included in all major Linux distro kernel's by default, so no
additional compile necessary). For kni module, if that is a module you use,
configure meson with "-Denable_kmods=true", and it will be built.

> The structure of examples also changed and was replaced by a single
> huge file. Is it really tested and published as LTS?

Not sure what you mean about the structure of the examples. Their directory
layout is largely the same as what it was, only the way in which they are
built is now a little different (as with the rest of DPDK).

/Bruce