* [dpdk-dev] Query regarding EAL  -m option
@ 2021-08-06  9:06 Gagandeep Singh
From: Gagandeep Singh @ 2021-08-06  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, anatoly.burakov; +Cc: Hemant Agrawal, Nipun Gupta

Hi,

I can understand "-m" option can be used in "-legacy-mode" to limit the memory reservation during the eal_init.
Is it true for dynamic memory allocation mode as well that dynamically allocated memory cannot be more than memory specified in "-m"? Or this option is valid only for legacy mode?

Regards,
Gagab

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Query regarding EAL  -m option
@ 2021-08-06 19:05 ` Dmitry Kozlyuk
From: Dmitry Kozlyuk @ 2021-08-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gagandeep Singh; +Cc: dev, anatoly.burakov, Hemant Agrawal, Nipun Gupta

> I can understand "-m" option can be used in "-legacy-mode" to limit the memory reservation during the eal_init.
> Is it true for dynamic memory allocation mode as well that dynamically allocated memory cannot be more than memory specified in "-m"? Or this option is valid only for legacy mode?
>
> Regards,
> Gagab

Hi Gagab,

In any mode -m specifies how much memory to request from the OS during EAL
startup. In legacy mode, this will be the maximum amount of memory DPDK can
allocate. In dynamic mode, this is just initial amount that also will never
be freed back to the system (while everything above this will).