* mbuf headroom question
@ 2022-01-06  9:29 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2022-01-06  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Matz, dev

Hi Olivier,

The data_room_size parameter description for the mbuf pool creation functions says:
"Size of data buffer in each mbuf, including RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM."

Furthermore, both rte_mbuf_data_iova_default() and rte_mbuf_data_addr_default() simply add RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM to the return value.

Based on the above, I would think that it is impossible for m->buf_len to be smaller than RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM.

So why does rte_pktmbuf_reset_headroom() use RTE_MIN(m->buf_len, RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM), instead of just RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM? What am I missing here?

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,
-Morten Brørup

* Re: mbuf headroom question
@ 2022-01-06  9:48 ` Olivier Matz
From: Olivier Matz @ 2022-01-06  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: dev

Hi Morten,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 10:29:11AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> The data_room_size parameter description for the mbuf pool creation functions says:
> "Size of data buffer in each mbuf, including RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM."
>
> Furthermore, both rte_mbuf_data_iova_default() and rte_mbuf_data_addr_default() simply add RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM to the return value.
>
> Based on the above, I would think that it is impossible for m->buf_len to be smaller than RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM.
>
> So why does rte_pktmbuf_reset_headroom() use RTE_MIN(m->buf_len, RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM), instead of just RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM? What am I missing here?

It is legal to create a packet pool that has no data buffer: this pool
can be used to allocate packets clones that will be attached to mbufs
containing data. There is an example in test_mbuf.c.

It is also technically possible to create a packet pool with small
mbufs (whose buffer length is less than RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM). These
mbufs cannot be used by drivers which use rte_mbuf_data_iova_default(),
but they could be used internally.

To create valid mbufs in these 2 cases, this is why RTE_MIN(m->buf_len,
RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM) is used ; "valid" means that headroom is not larger
than buffer length.

Olivier

* RE: mbuf headroom question
@ 2022-01-06 10:50   ` Morten Brørup
Thank you for the thorough explanation, Olivier.

Somewhat exotic scenarios, but they do make sense!

As you might have guessed, I was wondering if rte_pktmbuf_reset_headroom() could be optimized by simply using RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM. I still think that it might, but I realize that it would have wider reaching consequences...

> Hi Morten,
>
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 10:29:11AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:
> > Hi Olivier,
> >
> > The data_room_size parameter description for the mbuf pool creation
> functions says:
> > "Size of data buffer in each mbuf, including RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM."
> >
> > Furthermore, both rte_mbuf_data_iova_default() and
> rte_mbuf_data_addr_default() simply add RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM to the
> return value.
> >
> > Based on the above, I would think that it is impossible for m-
> >buf_len to be smaller than RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM.
> >
> > So why does rte_pktmbuf_reset_headroom() use RTE_MIN(m->buf_len,
> RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM), instead of just RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM? What am I
> missing here?
>
> It is legal to create a packet pool that has no data buffer: this pool
> can be used to allocate packets clones that will be attached to mbufs
> containing data. There is an example in test_mbuf.c.

In this case, m->data_off is unused, and could be RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM without causing problems.

> It is also technically possible to create a packet pool with small
> mbufs (whose buffer length is less than RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM). These
> mbufs cannot be used by drivers which use rte_mbuf_data_iova_default(),
> but they could be used internally.

In this case, all of the mbuf's data buffer would be headroom, so the internal use be application/drivers would need to ignore m->data_ off anyway, and could be RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM without causing problems.

> To create valid mbufs in these 2 cases, this is why RTE_MIN(m->buf_len,
> RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM) is used ; "valid" means that headroom is not
> larger
> than buffer length.

Validity is important! So if we optimized rte_pktmbuf_reset_headroom(), all the related validation functions would need to be updated accordingly. And the description of the data_off field in the mbuf.

It is probably not worth the effort pursuing this idea any further. :-)

> Olivier

* Re: mbuf headroom question
@ 2022-01-06 12:41     ` Olivier Matz
From: Olivier Matz @ 2022-01-06 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 11:50:54AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:
> [...]

Well, not really ignore data_off. The application can use
rte_pktmbuf_prepend().

> > To create valid mbufs in these 2 cases, this is why RTE_MIN(m->buf_len,
> > RTE_PKTMBUF_HEADROOM) is used ; "valid" means that headroom is not
> > larger
> > than buffer length.
>
> Validity is important! So if we optimized rte_pktmbuf_reset_headroom(), all the related validation functions would need to be updated accordingly. And the description of the data_off field in the mbuf.

Yes. Currently, it is possible to use rte_pktmbuf_prepend(),
rte_pktmbuf_append(), and others on these mbufs. They will return
an error if data cannot be added.

> It is probably not worth the effort pursuing this idea any further. :-)
>

> > Olivier

* RE: mbuf headroom question
@ 2022-01-06 12:49       ` Morten Brørup
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 11:50:54AM +0100, Morten Brørup wrote:

Considering the last feedback from Olivier, it is *certainly* not worth pursuing this idea any further. :-)