* rte_atomic API compatibility & standard atomics
@ 2023-03-27 19:39 Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2023-03-27 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev, mb, Honnappa.Nagarahalli, Ruifeng.Wang, thomas

Hi folks,

I don't think we discussed it specifically but what is the expectation
in relation to converting to standard atomics and compatibility of the
legacy rte_atomic APIs?

We can't really convert the inline function implementations of the
rte_atomic APIs because doing so would break compatibility. This is
because if the implementation uses standard atomics APIs then we are
required to pass _Atomic types to the generic atomic intrinsics.

We can choose to just leave the rte_atomic API implementations as they
are using the GCC builtins and i'm fine with that, but I do need some
help with what to do with msvc then since it doesn't have those
builtins.

The options seem to be as follows.

1.
Just cast the non-atomic types in the rte_atomic APIs implementation
to _Atomic which may work but i'm pretty sure is undefined behavior since
you can't qualify a non _Atomic type to suddenly be _Atomic.

2.
We could conditionally compile (hide) the legacy rte_atomic APIs when
msvc is in use, this seems not bad since there technically aren't any
Windows/MSVC consumers, but if someone wanted to port an existing
application they would have to adapt the code to avoid use of
rte_atomic.

For now I think the safest option is to go with 2 since it doesn't
impose any compatibility risk and conditional compilation only exists
until we deprecate and remove the old rte_atomic APIs.

Are there any other options i'm missing here?

Thanks

* RE: rte_atomic API compatibility & standard atomics
@ 2023-03-27 20:08 ` Morten Brørup
> I don't think we discussed it specifically but what is the expectation
> in relation to converting to standard atomics and compatibility of the
> legacy rte_atomic APIs?
>
> We can't really convert the inline function implementations of the
> rte_atomic APIs because doing so would break compatibility. This is
> because if the implementation uses standard atomics APIs then we are
> required to pass _Atomic types to the generic atomic intrinsics.
>
> We can choose to just leave the rte_atomic API implementations as they
> are using the GCC builtins and i'm fine with that, but I do need some
> help with what to do with msvc then since it doesn't have those
> builtins.
>
> The options seem to be as follows.
>
> 1.
> Just cast the non-atomic types in the rte_atomic APIs implementation
> to _Atomic which may work but i'm pretty sure is undefined behavior
> since
> you can't qualify a non _Atomic type to suddenly be _Atomic.
>
> 2.
> We could conditionally compile (hide) the legacy rte_atomic APIs when
> msvc is in use, this seems not bad since there technically aren't any
> Windows/MSVC consumers, but if someone wanted to port an existing
> application they would have to adapt the code to avoid use of
> rte_atomic.
>
> For now I think the safest option is to go with 2 since it doesn't
> impose any compatibility risk and conditional compilation only exists
> until we deprecate and remove the old rte_atomic APIs.
>
> Are there any other options i'm missing here?
>
> Thanks

As a variant of your second option, you could make most of the legacy rte_atomic APIs available to MSVC by changing the atomic counter types from volatile to _Atomic. Then only the atomic cmpset() and exchange() functions are unavailable for the application. E.g. for the 32 bit atomic counter type:

typedef struct {
-	volatile int32_t cnt; /**< An internal counter value. */
+	_Atomic int32_t cnt; /**< An internal counter value. */
} rte_atomic32_t;

* Re: rte_atomic API compatibility & standard atomics
@ 2023-03-28 18:46   ` Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2023-03-28 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 10:08:10PM +0200, Morten Brørup wrote:
> [...]

it's a good suggestion. but i'm not sure i want to get bogged down
making an old api available that hopefully we will remove soon.

though i'm still torn because i would really like the path to use msvc
for any application to be lower burden.

unless there are objections i think i'll do 2 as is. if good progress is
made we can re-evaluate doing the extra work to make available the old apis
as you suggest or potentially leave them unavailable forever subject to
any plans to deprecate and remove them.

@ 2023-03-29  8:43     ` Morten Brørup
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 10:08:10PM +0200, Morten Brørup wrote:

This could also be an option, wrapped in #ifdef MSVC, so they are still unchanged for other build environments.

That limits your concern about undefined behavior to specifically how MSVC behaves.

> > > 2.
> > > We could conditionally compile (hide) the legacy rte_atomic APIs when
> > > msvc is in use, this seems not bad since there technically aren't any
> > > Windows/MSVC consumers, but if someone wanted to port an existing
> > > application they would have to adapt the code to avoid use of
> > > rte_atomic.
> > >
> > > For now I think the safest option is to go with 2 since it doesn't
> > > impose any compatibility risk and conditional compilation only exists
> > > until we deprecate and remove the old rte_atomic APIs.
> > >
> > > Are there any other options i'm missing here?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > As a variant of your second option, you could make most of the legacy
> rte_atomic APIs available to MSVC by changing the atomic counter types from
> volatile to _Atomic. Then only the atomic cmpset() and exchange() functions
> are unavailable for the application. E.g. for the 32 bit atomic counter type:
> >
> > typedef struct {
> > -	volatile int32_t cnt; /**< An internal counter value. */
> > +	_Atomic int32_t cnt; /**< An internal counter value. */
> > } rte_atomic32_t;
> >

> it's a good suggestion. but i'm not sure i want to get bogged down
> making an old api available that hopefully we will remove soon.
>
> though i'm still torn because i would really like the path to use msvc
> for any application to be lower burden.
>
> unless there are objections i think i'll do 2 as is. if good progress is
> made we can re-evaluate doing the extra work to make available the old apis
> as you suggest or potentially leave them unavailable forever subject to
> any plans to deprecate and remove them.

No objections from me, either way.

From a high level perspective, I consider it perfectly reasonable to get up and running with very limited support. When MSVC gets more traction, and MSVC users want more of DPDK, I expect to see questions on the mailing list, or directly to you or the MSVC team. Then you can focus catching up on the features in demand.