* DPDK hugepage issue in docker containter
@ 2024-04-25 10:14 Nirmal Sarkar
From: Nirmal Sarkar @ 2024-04-25 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I am running DPDK application inside docker container bound to a Numa Node.
The command to bring up the docker container, I am using the command below:
docker run -itd \
    --privileged \
    --name ${DOCKER_NAME} \
    --rm \
    --network=${DOCKER_NETWORK} \
    --cpuset-cpus="${CPU_SET}" \
    -e TEST_INTERFACE="${INTERFACE}" \
    -e DPDK_FILE_PREFIX="${PREFIX}" \
    -e DPDK_HUGE_MEM="${HUGE_MEM}" \
    -v /sys/bus/pci/drivers:/sys/bus/pci/drivers \
    -v /sys/kernel/mm/hugepages:/sys/kernel/mm/hugepages \
    -v /sys/devices/system/node:/sys/devices/system/node \
    -v /dev/hugepages:/dev/hugepages \
    ${DOCKER_IMAGE}

Once the docker comes up, the application executes the following steps:
1. cleans up residual hugepage  # *./dpdk-hugepages.py -c*
2. unmounts hugepage filesystem # *./dpdk-hugepages.py -u*
3. sets up hugepage size, reserves hugepage and mounts hugepage filesystem
# *./dpdk-hugepages.py -p 1G -r <some-value>G -m*
4. does the DPDK EAL init.

During EAL init, I am getting an error: *EAL: Not enough memory available
on socket 1! Requested: <specified-value>, available: 0MB*

As per my understanding - inside the docker container *step-2* unmounts
/dev/hugepages and with *step-3* it is not properly mounted back to
/dev/hugepages though the command does not give any explicit error with
mount.
To test my understanding - I created a file in host /dev/hugepages and I
could see/access the file inside docker. When I executed *step-2* and
*step-3*, /dev/hugepages content is not visible from the docker
container. Hence
it looks to me *step-2* is not required at all.

Please correct me if I am wrong and also mention the correct steps to
unmount/mount hugepages inside docker.

Regards,
Nirmal Sarkar