* 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-03-31 18:20 luca.boccassi
From: luca.boccassi @ 2023-03-31 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, Ali Alnubani, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh, Thomas Monjalon,
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Hi all,

Here is a list of patches targeted for stable release 20.11.8.

The planned date for the final release is April 17th.

Please help with testing and validation of your use cases and report
any issues/results with reply-all to this mail. For the final release
the fixes and reported validations will be added to the release notes.

A release candidate tarball can be found at:

    https://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/tag/?id=v20.11.8-rc1

These patches are located at branch 20.11 of dpdk-stable repo:
    https://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/

Thanks.

Luca Boccassi

---
Akhil Goyal (1):
      doc: fix code blocks in cryptodev guide

Alexander Kozyrev (4):
      net/mlx5: fix error CQE dumping for vectorized Rx
      net/mlx5: ignore non-critical syndromes for Rx queue
      net/mlx5: check compressed CQE opcode in vectorized Rx
      net/mlx5: fix CQE dump for Tx

Andy Pei (2):
      vdpa/ifc: fix argument compatibility check
      vdpa/ifc: fix reconnection in SW-assisted live migration

Anoob Joseph (1):
      app/crypto-perf: fix number of segments

Arkadiusz Kusztal (1):
      app/compress-perf: fix remaining data for ops

Bing Zhao (2):
      net/mlx5: fix hairpin Tx queue reference count
      net/mlx5: fix sysfs port name translation

Boleslav Stankevich (1):
      net/virtio: deduce IP length for TSO checksum

Bruce Richardson (4):
      build: fix toolchain definition
      examples/cmdline: fix build with GCC 12
      examples/qos_sched: fix Tx port config when link down
      examples/qos_sched: fix config entries in wrong sections

Chengwen Feng (9):
      mem: fix hugepage info mapping
      raw/ifpga/base: fix init with multi-process
      telemetry: fix repeat display when callback don't init dict
      eal/freebsd: fix lock in alarm callback
      kvargs: add API documentation for process callback
      compressdev: fix empty devargs parsing
      cryptodev: fix empty devargs parsing
      net/virtio: fix empty devargs parsing
      raw/skeleton: fix empty devargs parsing

Ciara Power (2):
      crypto/qat: fix stream cipher direction
      app/crypto-perf: fix test file memory leak

David Christensen (1):
      acl: fix crash on PPC64 with GCC 11

David Marchand (17):
      fbarray: fix metadata dump
      graph: fix node shrink
      crypto/ccp: remove some printf
      net/iavf: protect insertion in flow list
      app/testpmd: fix crash on cleanup
      doc: fix reference to event timer header
      vhost: fix OOB access for invalid vhost ID
      app/testpmd: fix Tx preparation in checksum engine
      app/testpmd: fix packet count in IEEE 1588 engine
      app/testpmd: fix packet transmission in noisy VNF engine
      net/i40e: revert link status check on device start
      raw/skeleton: fix selftest
      net/vhost: add missing newline in logs
      net/virtio: remove address width limit for modern devices
      net/vhost: fix Rx interrupt
      net/mlx5: fix build with GCC 12 and ASan
      ci: switch to Ubuntu 20.04

Dmitry Kozlyuk (1):
      doc: add Linux capability to access physical addresses

Edwin Brossette (1):
      net/bnxt: fix link state change interrupt config

Erik Gabriel Carrillo (1):
      eventdev/timer: fix overflow

Ferruh Yigit (2):
      kni: fix build on RHEL 9.1
      app/testpmd: fix forwarding stats for Tx dropped

Gregory Etelson (1):
      app/testpmd: fix interactive mode with no ports

Harshad Narayane (1):
      doc: fix pipeline example path in user guide

Hernan Vargas (6):
      baseband/acc: fix memory leak on acc100 close
      baseband/acc: fix acc100 iteration counter in TB
      test/bbdev: fix crash for non supported HARQ length
      test/bbdev: extend HARQ tolerance
      test/bbdev: remove check for invalid opaque data
      app/bbdev: check statistics failure

Honnappa Nagarahalli (2):
      eal: use same atomic intrinsics for GCC and clang
      common/mlx5: use just sufficient barrier for Arm

Huisong Li (27):
      net/hns3: fix log about indirection table size
      net/hns3: refactor set RSS hash algorithm and key interface
      net/hns3: fix RSS key size compatibility
      net/hns3: fix clearing RSS configuration
      net/hns3: use RSS filter list to check duplicated rule
      net/hns3: remove useless code when destroy valid RSS rule
      net/hns3: fix warning on flush or destroy rule
      net/hns3: fix config struct used for conversion
      net/hns3: fix duplicate RSS rule check
      net/hns3: extract common functions to set Rx/Tx
      net/hns3: fix possible truncation of hash key when config
      net/hns3: fix possible truncation of redirection table
      net/hns3: use hardware config to report hash key
      net/hns3: use hardware config to report hash types
      net/hns3: use hardware config to report redirection table
      net/hns3: separate setting hash algorithm
      net/hns3: separate setting hash key
      net/hns3: separate setting redirection table
      net/hns3: separate setting RSS types
      net/hns3: separate setting and clearing RSS rule
      net/hns3: use new RSS rule to configure hardware
      net/hns3: save hash algo to RSS filter list node
      net/hns3: allow adding queue buffer size hash rule
      net/hns3: separate flow RSS config from RSS conf
      net/hns3: fix burst mode query with dummy function
      net/hns3: reimplement hash flow function
      net/hns3: add verification of RSS types

Ivan Malov (1):
      net/sfc: enforce fate action in transfer flow rules

Jiawei Wang (1):
      net/mlx5: fix flow sample with ConnectX-5

Jiawen Wu (4):
      net/txgbe: fix default signal quality value for KX/KX4
      net/txgbe: fix packet type to parse from offload flags
      net/txgbe: fix interrupt loss
      net/txgbe: fix Rx buffer size in config register

Jie Hai (1):
      test/mbuf: fix mbuf reset test

Joyce Kong (1):
      pdump: fix build with GCC 12

Kaiwen Deng (2):
      net/ixgbe: enable IPv6 mask in flow rules
      net/ixgbe: fix IPv6 mask in flow director

Kalesh AP (1):
      net/bnxt: fix Tx queue stats after queue stop and start

Kevin Traynor (1):
      ring: silence GCC 12 warnings

Long Wu (1):
      net/nfp: fix getting RSS configuration

Maxime Coquelin (4):
      vhost: decrease log level for unimplemented requests
      vhost: fix possible FD leaks
      vhost: fix possible FD leaks on truncation
      net/virtio-user: fix device starting failure handling

Megha Ajmera (1):
      examples/qos_sched: fix debug mode

Michael Baum (4):
      compressdev: fix end of driver list
      app/compress-perf: fix some typos
      app/compress-perf: fix testing single operation
      app/testpmd: fix encap/decap size calculation

Mike Baucom (1):
      net/bnxt: fix Rx queue stats after queue stop and start

Mike Pattrick (1):
      net/iavf: add lock for VF commands

Mohammad Iqbal Ahmad (1):
      app/flow-perf: fix division or module by zero

Naga Harish K S V (1):
      eventdev/eth_tx: fix devices loop

Nicolas Chautru (1):
      app/bbdev: add allocation checks

Pavel Ivashchenko (1):
      test/mbuf: fix test with mbuf debug enabled

Peng Zhang (2):
      net/nfp: fix firmware name derived from PCI name
      net/nfp: fix MTU configuration order

Qiming Yang (1):
      net/i40e: reduce interrupt interval in multi-driver mode

Saoirse O'Donovan (1):
      test/crypto: fix statistics error messages

Shiyang He (1):
      net/ixgbe: fix firmware version consistency

Stephen Hemminger (3):
      cmdline: handle EOF as quit
      app/testpmd: cleanup cleanly from signal
      app/testpmd: fix interactive mode on Windows

Steve Yang (2):
      net/i40e: fix validation of flow transfer attribute
      net/ice: fix validation of flow transfer attribute

Tadhg Kearney (1):
      examples/vm_power_manager: revert backported commit

Thomas Monjalon (4):
      doc: fix dependency setup in l2fwd-cat example guide
      devtools: fix escaped space in grep pattern
      build: fix dependencies lookup
      eal/windows: fix pedantic build

Tyler Retzlaff (1):
      eal/windows: mark memory config as complete

Venkat Duvvuru (1):
      net/bnxt: fix RSS hash in mbuf

Visa Hankala (1):
      net/e1000: fix saving of stripped VLAN TCI

Volodymyr Fialko (4):
      test/crypto: add missing MAC-I to PDCP vectors
      reorder: invalidate buffer from ready queue in drain
      test/reorder: fix double free of drained buffers
      reorder: fix sequence number mbuf field register

Wei Huang (3):
      bus/ifpga: fix devargs handling
      net/ipn3ke: fix thread exit
      net/ipn3ke: fix representor name

Wenjing Qiao (1):
      net/i40e: fix MAC loopback on X722

Wenwu Ma (1):
      vhost: fix net header settings in datapath

Yangchao Zhou (1):
      kni: fix possible starvation when mbufs are exhausted

Zhichao Zeng (1):
      net/iavf: fix device stop during reset

Zhuobin Huang (1):
      test: fix segment length in packet generator

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-06  7:19 ` Xu, HailinX
From: Xu, HailinX @ 2023-04-06  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi, stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, Ali Alnubani, Walker,  Benjamin,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Stokes, Ian, Jerin Jacob,
	Mcnamara, John, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, Xu, Qian Q, Raslan Darawsheh, Thomas Monjalon,
	Yanghang Liu, Peng, Yuan, Chen, Zhaoyan

Update the test status for Intel part. Till now dpdk20.11.8-rc1 validation test rate is 80%. No critical issue is found.
2 new bugs are found, These 2 issues are being confirmed by Intel Dev.
New bugs:
  bug1. softnic and metering_and_policing: create rule failed  -- Intel dev is under investigating.
  bug2. some of the unit tests are failing:  -- Intel dev is under investigating
# Basic Intel(R) NIC testing
* Build & CFLAG compile: cover the build test combination with latest GCC/Clang version and the popular OS revision such as Ubuntu20.04, Fedora36, RHEL8.4, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.
* PF(i40e, ixgbe): test scenarios including RTE_FLOW/TSO/Jumboframe/checksum offload/VLAN/VXLAN, etc.
- Execution rate is 80%. No new dpdk issue is found.
* VF(i40e, ixgbe): test scenarios including VF-RTE_FLOW/TSO/Jumboframe/checksum offload/VLAN/VXLAN, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.
* PF/VF(ice): test scenarios including Switch features/Package Management/Flow Director/Advanced Tx/Advanced RSS/ACL/DCF/Flexible Descriptor, etc.
- Execution rate is 70%. No new dpdk issue is found.
* Intel NIC single core/NIC performance: test scenarios including PF/VF single core performance test, etc.
- Execution rate is 80%. No new dpdk issue is found.
* IPsec: test scenarios including ipsec/ipsec-gw/ipsec library basic test - QAT&SW/FIB library, etc.
- on going.

# Basic cryptodev and virtio testing
* Virtio: both function and performance test are covered. Such as PVP/Virtio_loopback/virtio-user loopback/virtio-net VM2VM perf testing/VMAWARE ESXI 7.0u3, etc.
- Execution rate is 95%. No new dpdk issue is found.
* Cryptodev:
  *Function test: test scenarios including Cryptodev API testing/CompressDev ISA-L/QAT/ZLIB PMD Testing/FIPS, etc.
    - Execution rate is 95%. bug2 was found.
  *Performance test: test scenarios including Thoughput Performance/Cryptodev Latency, etc.
    - All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.

Regards,
Xu, Hailin

@ 2023-04-11  5:17   ` Xu, HailinX
From: Xu, HailinX @ 2023-04-11  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi, stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, Ali Alnubani, Walker,  Benjamin,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Stokes, Ian, Jerin Jacob,
	Mcnamara, John, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, Xu, Qian Q, Raslan Darawsheh, Thomas Monjalon,
	Yanghang Liu, Peng, Yuan, Chen, Zhaoyan

Update the test status for Intel part. Till now dpdk20.11.8-rc1 validation test rate is 98%. No critical issue is found.
4 new bugs are found, These 3 issues are being confirmed by Intel Dev.
New bugs:
  1. softnic and metering_and_policing: create rule failed -- Intel dev is under investigating.
  2. some of the unit tests are failing: -- Intel dev is under investigating
  3. pvp_qemu_multi_paths_port_restart:perf_pvp_qemu_vector_rx_mac: performance drop about 23.5% when send small packets
	https://bugs.dpdk.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1212
  4. large_vf/3_vfs_256_queues:"OP_DEL_RSS_INPUT_CFG" error appears when exiting testpmd  -- Intel dev is under investigating
# Basic Intel(R) NIC testing
* Build & CFLAG compile: cover the build test combination with latest GCC/Clang version and the popular OS revision such as Ubuntu20.04, Fedora36, RHEL8.4, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.
* PF(i40e, ixgbe): test scenarios including RTE_FLOW/TSO/Jumboframe/checksum offload/VLAN/VXLAN, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.
* VF(i40e, ixgbe): test scenarios including VF-RTE_FLOW/TSO/Jumboframe/checksum offload/VLAN/VXLAN, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.
* PF/VF(ice): test scenarios including Switch features/Package Management/Flow Director/Advanced Tx/Advanced RSS/ACL/DCF/Flexible Descriptor, etc.
- All test done. found bug4.
* Intel NIC single core/NIC performance: test scenarios including PF/VF single core performance test, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.
* IPsec: test scenarios including ipsec/ipsec-gw/ipsec library basic test - QAT&SW/FIB library, etc.
- All test done. No new dpdk issue is found.

# Basic cryptodev and virtio testing
* Virtio: both function and performance test are covered. Such as PVP/Virtio_loopback/virtio-user loopback/virtio-net VM2VM perf testing/VMAWARE ESXI 8.0, etc.
- All test done. found bug3.
* Cryptodev:
  *Function test: test scenarios including Cryptodev API testing/CompressDev ISA-L/QAT/ZLIB PMD Testing/FIPS, etc.
    - Execution rate is 95%. found bug2.

@ 2023-04-12 15:15 ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2023-04-12 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi, stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker, David Christensen,
	Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob, John McNamara,
	Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi, Pei Zhang,
	qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Hello,

We ran the following functional tests with Nvidia hardware on v20.11.8-rc1:
- Basic functionality:
  Send and receive multiple types of traffic.
- testpmd xstats counter test.
- testpmd timestamp test.
- Changing/checking link status through testpmd.
- rte_flow tests.
- Some RSS tests.
- VLAN filtering, stripping and insertion tests.
- Checksum and TSO tests.
- ptype tests.
- link_status_interrupt example application tests.
- l3fwd-power example application tests.
- Multi-process example applications tests.
- Hardware LRO tests.

Functional tests ran on:
- NIC: ConnectX-6 Dx / OS: Ubuntu 20.04 / Driver: MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.9-0.5.6.0 / Firmware: 22.36.1010
- NIC: ConnectX-7 / OS: Ubuntu 20.04 / Driver: MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.9-0.5.6.0 / Firmware: 22.36.1010
- DPU: BlueField-2 / DOCA SW version: 1.5.1 / Firmware: 24.35.2000

Additionally, we ran compilation tests with multiple configurations in the following OS/driver combinations:
- Ubuntu 20.04.5 with MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.9-0.5.6.0.
- Ubuntu 20.04.5 with rdma-core master (f0a079f).
- Ubuntu 20.04.5 with rdma-core v28.0.
- Ubuntu 18.04.6 with rdma-core v17.1.
- Ubuntu 18.04.6 with rdma-core master (f0a079f) (i386).
- Fedora 37 with rdma-core v41.0.
- Fedora 39 (Rawhide) with rdma-core v44.0.
- CentOS 7 7.9.2009 with rdma-core master (f0a079f).
- CentOS 7 7.9.2009 with MLNX_OFED_LINUX-5.9-0.5.6.0.
- CentOS 8 8.4.2105 with rdma-core master (f0a079f).
- OpenSUSE Leap 15.4 with rdma-core v38.1.
- Windows Server 2019 with Clang 11.0.0.

We don't see new issues caused by the changes in this release.

Please note that not all the functional tests mentioned above fall under "Basic functionality with testpmd" like reported in the release notes for previous releases:
https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/commit/?h=v20.11.7&id=62865fef48cb93042e8b9f85821eb02e1031e8f0
Some of them test other applications.

Thanks,
Ali

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-14  8:28   ` YangHang Liu
From: YangHang Liu @ 2023-04-14  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi
  Cc: stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen,
	Chao Yang, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Ali Alnubani

Hi  Luca,

RedHat QE does not find new issues about the v20.11.8-rc1 dpdk during the
tests.

We tested below 18 scenarios and all got PASS on RHEL9:

   - Guest with device assignment(PF) throughput testing(1G hugepage size):
   PASS
   - Guest with device assignment(PF) throughput testing(2M hugepage size)
   : PASS
   - Guest with device assignment(VF) throughput testing: PASS
   - PVP (host dpdk testpmd as vswitch) 1Q: throughput testing: PASS
   - PVP vhost-user 2Q throughput testing: PASS
   - PVP vhost-user 1Q - cross numa node throughput testing: PASS
   - Guest with vhost-user 2 queues throughput testing: PASS
   - vhost-user reconnect with dpdk-client, qemu-server qemu reconnect: PASS
   - vhost-user reconnect with dpdk-client, qemu-server ovs reconnect: PASS
   - PVP  reconnect with dpdk-client, qemu-server: PASS
   - PVP 1Q live migration testing: PASS
   - PVP 1Q cross numa node live migration testing: PASS
   - Guest with ovs+dpdk+vhost-user 1Q live migration testing: PASS
   - Guest with ovs+dpdk+vhost-user 1Q live migration testing (2M): PASS
   - Guest with ovs+dpdk+vhost-user 2Q live migration testing: PASS
   - Guest with ovs+dpdk+vhost-user 4Q live migration testing: PASS
   - Host PF + DPDK testing: PASS
   - Host VF + DPDK testing: PASS

Test Versions:

   - qemu-kvm-6.2.0
   - kernel 5.14
   - v20.11.8 dpdk

# git log
commit f18508a65db3305faf335376754d052eb4e640fb (tag: v20.11.8-rc1)
Author: Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>
Date: Fri Mar 31 19:15:02 2023 +0100
version: 20.11.8-rc1
Signed-off-by: Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>

   - Test device : X540-AT2 NIC(ixgbe, 10G)

Best Regards,
YangHang Liu

@ 2023-04-14 10:06     ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2023-04-14 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xu, HailinX
  Cc: stable, dev, Walker, Benjamin, Stokes, Ian, Mcnamara, John, Xu,
	Qian Q, Thomas Monjalon, Peng, Yuan, Chen, Zhaoyan

On Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 06:17, Xu, HailinX <hailinx.xu@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

Any news about the other 3 issues that were pending investigation?

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-17 10:34       ` Xu, HailinX
From: Xu, HailinX @ 2023-04-17 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Boccassi
  Cc: stable, dev, Walker, Benjamin, Stokes, Ian, Mcnamara, John, Xu,
	Qian Q, Thomas Monjalon, Peng, Yuan, Chen, Zhaoyan

One issue fix patch verify failed, preparing a new patch, Other issues are under investigation.

Regards,
Xu, Hailin

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19  9:22   ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2023-04-19  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luca.boccassi, stable
  Cc: dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker, David Christensen,
	Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob, John McNamara,
	Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi, Pei Zhang,
	qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Hello,

I see this documentation build failure on Fedora 37:

$ ninja-build -C build doc
[..]
[2/4] Generating doc/api/doxygen with a custom command
FAILED: doc/api/html
/root/dpdk/doc/api/generate_doxygen.sh doc/api/doxy-api.conf doc/api/html /root/dpdk/doc/api/doxy-html-custom.sh
/root/dpdk/lib/librte_cryptodev/rte_cryptodev_pmd.h:489: error: found documented return type for rte_cryptodev_pmd_callback_process that does not return anything (warning treated as error, aborting now)
[..]

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 13:02     ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2023-04-19 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani
  Cc: stable, dev, John McNamara, Kevin Traynor, Raslan Darawsheh,

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 at 10:22, Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com> wrote:

> [...]

I cannot reproduce this on Debian. Does it start working again if you
revert commit 6500e9e4d8d556a3d29c26b5fe2c9d5f2c6acd1a ?

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 13:10       ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2023-04-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Boccassi
  Cc: stable, dev, John McNamara, Kevin Traynor, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL)

It doesn't reproduce for me on Ubuntu 20.04.
Reverting the commit you pointed to doesn't resolve it. I see now that it reproduces on 20.11.7 as well.

Meson: 1.0.1
Doxygen: 1.9.5

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 13:11     ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2023-04-19 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani
  Cc: luca.boccassi, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Hello Ali,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:22 AM Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com> wrote:
> I see this documentation build failure on Fedora 37:
>
> $ ninja-build -C build doc
> [..]
> [2/4] Generating doc/api/doxygen with a custom command
> FAILED: doc/api/html
> /root/dpdk/doc/api/generate_doxygen.sh doc/api/doxy-api.conf doc/api/html /root/dpdk/doc/api/doxy-html-custom.sh
> /root/dpdk/lib/librte_cryptodev/rte_cryptodev_pmd.h:489: error: found documented return type for rte_cryptodev_pmd_callback_process that does not return anything (warning treated as error, aborting now)
> [..]
> ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

This looks a lot like: 16de054160e3 ("lib: remove empty return types
from doxygen comments")

I don't think this function prototype is really different in the 20.11
stable branch (putting the __rte_internal tag aside).
Can you trigger this issue on the main branch?

--
David Marchand

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 13:14       ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2023-04-19 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand
  Cc: luca.boccassi, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Luca Boccassi,
	Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Yes, that's probably the case.

> I don't think this function prototype is really different in the 20.11
> stable branch (putting the __rte_internal tag aside).
> Can you trigger this issue on the main branch?

The main branch doesn't reproduce on the same environment.

@ 2023-04-19 13:24         ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2023-04-19 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani
  Cc: luca.boccassi, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com> wrote:

> > I don't think this function prototype is really different in the 20.11
> > stable branch (putting the __rte_internal tag aside).
> > Can you trigger this issue on the main branch?
> >

> The main branch doesn't reproduce on the same environment.

Ok, same for me, I reproduced for 20.11 but not for main.

I think I have the reason.
We filter headers to be processed by doxygen via a name filter:

FILE_PATTERNS           = rte_*.h \

But this rte_cryptodev_pmd.h driver header has been renamed as
cryptodev_pmd.h in 21.11.
So the issue you reported only affects 20.11.

--
David Marchand

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:14           ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2023-04-19 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand
  Cc: Ali Alnubani, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Pei Zhang,

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 at 14:25, David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think this function prototype is really different in the 20.11
> > > stable branch (putting the __rte_internal tag aside).
> > > Can you trigger this issue on the main branch?
> > >

> > The main branch doesn't reproduce on the same environment.
>
> Ok, same for me, I reproduced for 20.11 but not for main.
>

> I think I have the reason.
> We filter headers to be processed by doxygen via a name filter:
>
> FILE_PATTERNS           = rte_*.h \
>
> But this rte_cryptodev_pmd.h driver header has been renamed as
> cryptodev_pmd.h in 21.11.
> So the issue you reported only affects 20.11.

I can reproduce in debian testing, after backporting the mentioned
commit from main it seems fine, can you confirm as well that it works
in fedora?

https://github.com/bluca/dpdk-stable/commit/77f65b61f955fd817b3791049dda3032c459ac59

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:23             ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2023-04-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Boccassi, David Marchand
  Cc: stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Kevin Traynor, Pei Zhang,
	qian.q.xu, Raslan Darawsheh,
	NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Now I see a different error:

[2/4] Generating doc/api/doxygen with a custom command
FAILED: doc/api/html
/tmp/dpdk/doc/api/generate_doxygen.sh doc/api/doxy-api.conf doc/api/html /tmp/dpdk/doc/api/doxy-html-custom.sh
/tmp/dpdk/lib/librte_vhost/rte_vhost_async.h:49: error: rte_vhost_async_channel_ops::transfer_data has @param documentation sections but no arguments (warning treated as error, aborting now)

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:26               ` Kevin Traynor
From: Kevin Traynor @ 2023-04-19 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani, Luca Boccassi, David Marchand
  Cc: stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu,

On 19/04/2023 15:23, Ali Alnubani wrote:
> [...]

See
https://git.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/commit/?h=21.11&id=adeaf361f0a5bb3992756fd4e727dd11ecca0943

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:30                 ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2023-04-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Traynor
  Cc: Ali Alnubani, David Marchand, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe,
	benjamin.walker, David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes,
	Jerin Jacob, John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu,

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 at 15:26, Kevin Traynor <ktraynor@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 19/04/2023 15:23, Ali Alnubani wrote:

Thanks, any more errors with
https://github.com/bluca/dpdk-stable/commit/b75ebf643de0204d0092a56fbec63f0bcd10e89f
?

* RE: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:35                   ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2023-04-19 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor
  Cc: David Marchand, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe, benjamin.walker,
	David Christensen, Hemant Agrawal, Ian Stokes, Jerin Jacob,
	John McNamara, Ju-Hyoung Lee, Pei Zhang, qian.q.xu,
	Raslan Darawsheh, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL),
	Yanghang Liu, yuan.peng, zhaoyan.chen

Build on Fedora with Doxygen 1.9.5 now passes with both patches:
https://github.com/bluca/dpdk-stable/commit/77f65b61f955fd817b3791049dda3032c459ac59.patch
https://github.com/bluca/dpdk-stable/commit/b75ebf643de0204d0092a56fbec63f0bcd10e89f.patch

Thanks!

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:35                   ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2023-04-19 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Boccassi
  Cc: Kevin Traynor, Ali Alnubani, stable, dev, Abhishek Marathe,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 4:30 PM Luca Boccassi <luca.boccassi@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

With those two backports, it works for me.

b75ebf643d - (HEAD -> 20.11, bluca/20.11) vhost: fix doxygen warnings
(6 minutes ago) <Kevin Traynor>
77f65b61f9 - lib: remove empty return types from doxygen comments (23
minutes ago) <Ali Alnubani>
a75247cbdc - (stable/20.11) crypto/snow3g: fix snow3g enqueue stat
increment (24 hours ago) <Saoirse O'Donovan>

--
David Marchand

* Re: 20.11.8 patches review and test
@ 2023-04-19 14:38                     ` Luca Boccassi