* Compiling error using make for pktgen, libfgen not found
@ 2024-05-08 10:57 Florian Düsing
From: Florian Düsing @ 2024-05-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Dear Developers of dpdk and pktgen,

I try to use pktgen for my Bachelor Thesis where I want to create a
Penetration- and Loadtester for Firewalls. But I encountered numerous
problems and hoped you could help me out.
To sort the problems:
1. I want to use the newest pktgen version, instead of 22.04.01, but I
always get the "error:meson.build:45:11: ERROR: Dependency "libfgen" not
found, tried pkgconfig and cmake"
I tried to install the Dependency, but I keep failing. Could this be a
problem with "pkg-config"?

2. I did manage to run pktgen 22.04.01 with dpdk 22.11.1, but I needed
to manually edit multiple c-Files to work. But I have problems with my
IOMMU groups which i couldnt resolve. Thats why I would like to try the
newest Version.

Currently Iam using ubuntu-22.04 on my private Computer. I tried working
with a virtual environment on EVE-NG, but I had multiple problems with
core dumps. I figured the virtualisation might be the problem.

Hardware wise I use:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
16GB Ram, 8GB per slot
cheap dual 1G Intel NIC, but DPDK is able to use them

Maybe you can help me solving my IOMMU problem, this way I could atleast
use the older Versions.
My Intel NIC gets in the same IOMMU group as my on-board Ethernet-Port
and 9 more other pci objects, which keeps me from using pktgen. Editing
the grub file resultet in a total crash of ubuntu, so i had to set up
everthing again from the ground.

I hope someone is able to help me, because in theory the pktgen is
exactly what I need, but with the lack of my experience, I am at my wits
end.

I dont want to bother anyone, but every single help would be appreciated.

Sincerly
Florian Düsing

* Re: Compiling error using make for pktgen, libfgen not found
@ 2024-05-08 14:52 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2024-05-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Düsing; +Cc: dev

On Wed, May 08, 2024 at 12:57:26PM +0200, Florian Düsing wrote:
> Dear Developers of dpdk and pktgen,
>
> I try to use pktgen for my Bachelor Thesis where I want to create a
> Penetration- and Loadtester for Firewalls. But I encountered numerous
> problems and hoped you could help me out.
> To sort the problems:
> 1. I want to use the newest pktgen version, instead of 22.04.01, but I
> always get the "error:meson.build:45:11: ERROR: Dependency "libfgen" not
> found, tried pkgconfig and cmake"
> I tried to install the Dependency, but I keep failing. Could this be a
> problem with "pkg-config"?
>
> 2. I did manage to run pktgen 22.04.01 with dpdk 22.11.1, but I needed
> to manually edit multiple c-Files to work. But I have problems with my
> IOMMU groups which i couldnt resolve. Thats why I would like to try the
> newest Version.
>
> Currently Iam using ubuntu-22.04 on my private Computer. I tried working
> with a virtual environment on EVE-NG, but I had multiple problems with
> core dumps. I figured the virtualisation might be the problem.
>
> Hardware wise I use:
> AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
> 16GB Ram, 8GB per slot
> cheap dual 1G Intel NIC, but DPDK is able to use them
>
> Maybe you can help me solving my IOMMU problem, this way I could atleast
> use the older Versions.
> My Intel NIC gets in the same IOMMU group as my on-board Ethernet-Port
> and 9 more other pci objects, which keeps me from using pktgen. Editing
> the grub file resultet in a total crash of ubuntu, so i had to set up
> everthing again from the ground.

If the devices are all ending up in the same IOMMU group, then you may just
need to run DPDK without an IOMMU, which is unfortunately not ideal, but
may work for basic testing. Suggest trying to disable IOMMU in grub and
using the vfio module in noiommu mode. Are the NICs connected directly to
the CPU socket, or do they connect to a chipset? If the latter, maybe try
moving PCI slot to see if they can connect directly to CPU and so appear in
a different IOMMU group.

/Bruce