* [dpdk-dev] rte_flow ageing
@ 2021-03-29  8:34 David Bouyeure
From: David Bouyeure @ 2021-03-29  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,

I've found out the pretty useful experimental brand new flow ageing API
implemented in the mlx5 PMD.

I'm trying it (rte_eth_dev_callback_register(RTE_ETH_EVENT_FLOW_AGED),
RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_AGE) to recover any flow that I previously offloaded.

The DPDK version is 20.08 and Mellanox(Connect-X6) OFED drivers are
5.1-2.5.8.0.

I eventually don't see the usefulness of the callback since it's
actually triggered indirectly by us(the DPDK application) when calling
rte_flow_get_aged_flows(). If we don't call it, the callback is called
only once.

And, calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows() from the callback won't trigger
it next time(MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER is reset after the callback call)

Furthermore, I don't see the point of computing ageing flows in
mlx5_fow.c::mlx5_flow_aging_check() if the client callback isn't called.

So far, I can handle the flow ageing from the same thread as the one
which is handling the flow direction(rte_flow), it even avoid threads
synchronization. But, in the future, I may need to be noticed as soon as
possible of a single flow ageing, and thus handle this flow logic from
the ageing callback.

I may misunderstand the whole ageing API... Thanks a lot for any
clarification.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_flow ageing
@ 2021-03-29 18:02 ` Asaf Penso
From: Asaf Penso @ 2021-03-29 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bouyeure, dev; +Cc: Matan Azrad, Jack Min

Hello David,

Thanks for reaching out, I'll try to answer as best as I know and I added Matan who will be able to provide further info during next week.
First, according to our pmd documentation (http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx5.html#supported-hardware-offloads) we recommend using DPDK20.11 and OFED5.2, and not the combo you are referring to.
Second, we can always improve our documentation and I appreciate your queries.

Please see my comments inline.

Regards,
Asaf Penso

It is useful and I hope you'll fully understand at the end why 😊

>I'm trying it (rte_eth_dev_callback_register(RTE_ETH_EVENT_FLOW_AGED),
>RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_AGE) to recover any flow that I previously
>offloaded.
>
>The DPDK version is 20.08 and Mellanox(Connect-X6) OFED drivers are 5.1-
>2.5.8.0.

See above the suggested versions for this feature

>I eventually don't see the usefulness of the callback since it's actually triggered
>indirectly by us(the DPDK application) when calling
>rte_flow_get_aged_flows().

The main intention is to offload the aging logic from the application level to the pmd level.
There is so saving of cpu cycles, and the gain here is with simplicity.
The application doesn't need to have complex logic of comparison between counters or other HW info that can be retrieve.
Now, the pmd hides all of that and leaves the application only to decide what to do with the flows that are aged out.
Please note, the pmd does not delete any flow, just provide the list of all the flows that are aged.

> If we don't call it, the callback is called only once.
>
>And, calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows() from the callback won't trigger it next
>time(MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER is reset after the callback call)

Once you call the function the pmd will not trigger more events. Now it's up to the application to decide what to do.
Doing it differently, will cause an interrupt storm and the pmd avoids that.
If new flows are aged then the pmd will trigger a new event.

>Furthermore, I don't see the point of computing ageing flows in
>mlx5_fow.c::mlx5_flow_aging_check() if the client callback isn't called.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand your intention.

@ 2021-03-30 15:45   ` David Bouyeure
From: David Bouyeure @ 2021-03-30 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Asaf Penso, dev; +Cc: Matan Azrad, Jack Min

Thanks a lot Asaf, for your answer, so fast.

depending on the feature we want, the table you mentioned in the doc may
give different combinations. Mine, DPDK-20.08/OFED 5.1-2, is part of the
list.

Anyway, my question is more about the API design. Please, find my
comments below.

On 3/29/21 8:02 PM, Asaf Penso wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for reaching out, I'll try to answer as best as I know and I added Matan who will be able to provide further info during next week.
> First, according to our pmd documentation (http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx5.html#supported-hardware-offloads) we recommend using DPDK20.11 and OFED5.2, and not the combo you are referring to.
> Second, we can always improve our documentation and I appreciate your queries.
>
> Please see my comments inline.
>
> Regards,
> Asaf Penso

I fully understand that and this is a very very useful feature to us.
>> If we don't call it, the callback is called only once.
>>
>> And, calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows() from the callback won't trigger it next
>> time(MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER is reset after the callback call)
> Once you call the function the pmd will not trigger more events. Now it's up to the application to decide what to do.
> Doing it differently, will cause an interrupt storm and the pmd avoids that.If new flows are aged then the pmd will trigger a new event.

Sorry, I wasn't realizing that the callback isn't called for each flow
but rather for each port, though it's clear in the PMD code. But, the
fact that we can register several RTE_ETH_EVENT_FLOW_AGED event handlers
is surprising.

So, you suggest to use the callback as an indicator to later retrieve
the aged-out flows, that's it?

Wouldn't calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows with NULL param just to get the
number of aged_flows do the same, without the need to un/register a
callback, and DPDK to call it?

Another thing, the explanation here
http://doc.dpdk.org/api/rte__flow_8h.html#a43763e0794d2696b18b6272619aafc2a
*"...to get the aged flows usynchronously from the event callback..."*
seems wrong to me because age_info->flags is set to 0 just after the
callback, thus ML5_AGE_TRIGGER is canceled and no event will be
triggered before we'll call rte_flow_get_aged_flows() outside of the
callback.
>> Furthermore, I don't see the point of computing ageing flows in
>> mlx5_fow.c::mlx5_flow_aging_check() if the client callback isn't called.
>>
> Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand your intention.
Please forgot :-)

@ 2021-04-05 10:23     ` Matan Azrad
From: Matan Azrad @ 2021-04-05 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bouyeure, Asaf Penso, dev; +Cc: Jack Min

Hi

I will try to answer inline with prefix [MA].

External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

First, according to our pmd documentation (http://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx5.html#supported-hardware-offloads<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdoc.dpdk.org%2Fguides%2Fnics%2Fmlx5.html%23supported-hardware-offloads&data=04%7C01%7Cmatan%40nvidia.com%7Cdfc24177f1fa4209c81f08d8f392e4c2%7C43083d15727340c1b7db39efd9ccc17a%7C0%7C0%7C637527159538915512%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=8xI9xcx8uhHTBDr22aZi986oXyTHTN8E6NKsx%2BYMqAQ%3D&reserved=0>) we recommend using DPDK20.11 and OFED5.2, and not the combo you are referring to.

[...]

[MA] Yes you can register the event for each port support aging if you want your callback will be called for “new” aged flows.

So, you suggest to use the callback as an indicator to later retrieve the aged-out flows, that's it?

[MA] the user has 2 options:

  1.  Register the AGE event -> in event time to query the aged-out flows by the rte_flow_get_aged_flows API, this call will trigger a new event when new aged-out flow will be detected for the port.(if you don’t call rte_flow_get_aged_flows the event will not be retriggered.)
  2.  Just call rte_flow_get_aged_flows from time to time(application polling).

Wouldn't calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows with NULL param just to get the number of aged_flows do the same, without the need to un/register a callback, and DPDK to call it?

[MA]

Here, application need to do polling all the time (option 2), in option 1 application invest effort only when aged-out flows are detected.

In option 1, you can call it with NULL also in order to know what is the array size you need for the actual call.
Another thing, the explanation here http://doc.dpdk.org/api/rte__flow_8h.html#a43763e0794d2696b18b6272619aafc2a<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdoc.dpdk.org%2Fapi%2Frte__flow_8h.html%23a43763e0794d2696b18b6272619aafc2a&data=04%7C01%7Cmatan%40nvidia.com%7Cdfc24177f1fa4209c81f08d8f392e4c2%7C43083d15727340c1b7db39efd9ccc17a%7C0%7C0%7C637527159538925502%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=h0Vp1jtf9NKmgywkL4LLOuSDxLR4VzqPH6mS6aD0%2FyI%3D&reserved=0> "...to get the aged flows usynchronously from the event callback..." seems wrong to me because age_info->flags is set to 0 just after the callback, thus ML5_AGE_TRIGGER is canceled and no event will be triggered before we'll call rte_flow_get_aged_flows() outside of the callback.

[MA] It just say you can choose one of the options usynchronously (option 1), synchronously (option 2).

Matan

@ 2021-04-07 16:19       ` David Bouyeure
From: David Bouyeure @ 2021-04-07 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matan Azrad, Asaf Penso, dev; +Cc: Jack Min

Hi Matan, and thanks a lot,

regarding the mode *1*, I still have a doubt:

>  1. Register the AGE event -> in event time to query the aged-out
>     flows by the rte_flow_get_aged_flows API, this call will trigger a
>     new event when new aged-out flow will be detected for the port.(if
>     you don’t call rte_flow_get_aged_flows the event will not be
>     retriggered.)

You meant calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows() from the event callback I
guess...?

I think this is not working because MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER is erased when the
callback returns.

Anyway, the polling mode is enough to me so far.

Thanks again.

Regards.

@ 2021-04-07 18:09         ` Matan Azrad
From: Matan Azrad @ 2021-04-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Asaf Penso, dev, David Bouyeure; +Cc: Jack Min

Yes you can call it from the event callback.

Yes, MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER probably means that event was sent and no need to send it again in the next aged-out flow.
Erasing it cause new event to be sent in the next aged-out flow...

I don't understand what is the issue for you in option 1...

השג את ‏Outlook עבור Android‏<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>

________________________________

@ 2021-04-08  7:50           ` David Bouyeure
From: David Bouyeure @ 2021-04-08  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matan Azrad, Asaf Penso, dev; +Cc: Jack Min

Hi Matan,

below are my comments.

Thank you.

On 4/7/21 8:09 PM, Matan Azrad wrote:

> Yes you can call it from the event callback.
Sure, but it won't trigger the event callback as it would for the next
aged-out flow(s) if called from outside the callback.

> Yes, MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER probably means that event was sent and no need
> to send it again in the next aged-out flow.
I don't think so. MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER means 'Do call the callback for next
aged-out flow(s)'.
> Erasing it cause new event to be sent in the next aged-out flow...
No, I think it's the reverse.

@ 2021-04-08  9:52             ` Matan Azrad
From: Matan Azrad @ 2021-04-08  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bouyeure, Asaf Penso, dev; +Cc: Jack Min

Yes, you right for the meaning of MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER.

But why you said it is erased when the callback return?

It is erased when a new aged-out flow is detected by the driver….

Do you have an issue with option 1?

Matan

השג את ‏Outlook עבור Android‏<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Faka.ms%2FAAb9ysg&data=04%7C01%7Cmatan%40nvidia.com%7C5f8447e5e9a0419d028408d8fa62f35c%7C43083d15727340c1b7db39efd9ccc17a%7C0%7C0%7C637534650206068346%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=vfiLHcxWtpQEh9jqE7wIsGhs%2FZlMN5r4aJtSrvE7OgY%3D&reserved=0>

________________________________
External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

Hi Matan, and thanks a lot,
regarding the mode 1, I still have a doubt:

  1.  Register the AGE event -> in event time to query the aged-out flows by the rte_flow_get_aged_flows API, this call will trigger a new event when new aged-out flow will be detected for the port.(if you don’t call rte_flow_get_aged_flows the event will not be retriggered.)

You meant calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows() from the event callback I guess...?

I think this is not working because MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER is erased when the callback returns.

Anyway, the polling mode is enough to me so far.

Thanks again.

Regards.

On 4/5/21 12:23 PM, Matan Azrad wrote:
-->

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_flow ageing
@ 2021-04-08 16:45               ` David Bouyeure
From: David Bouyeure @ 2021-04-08 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matan Azrad, Asaf Penso, dev; +Cc: Jack Min

As seen with Matan, there's really a bug preventing to schedule a later
age event(with /rte_flow_get_aged_flows()/) from the user's callback itself.

I could suggest the following patch:

--- dpdk-21.02/drivers/net/mlx5/mlx5.c    2021-02-14 10:58:34.000000000
+0100
+++ dpdk-21.02/drivers/net/mlx5/mlx5.c.new    2021-04-08
18:35:44.124965176 +0200
@@ -554,7 +554,7 @@
              rte_eth_dev_callback_process
(&rte_eth_devices[sh->port[i].devx_ih_port_id],
                  RTE_ETH_EVENT_FLOW_AGED, NULL);
-        age_info->flags = 0;
+        age_info->flags &= ~MLX5_AGE_EVENT_NEW;
      }
  }

Thanks.

On 4/8/21 11:52 AM, Matan Azrad wrote:

> Yes, you right for the meaning of MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER.
>
> But why you said it is erased when the callback return?
>
> It is erased when a new aged-out flow is detected by the driver….
>
> Do you have an issue with option 1?
>
> Matan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] rte_flow ageing
@ 2021-03-29  8:32       ` David Bouyeure
From: David Bouyeure @ 2021-03-29  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Sorry for the below topic confusion(in-reply-to).

On 3/29/21 9:50 AM, David Bouyeure wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've found out the pretty useful experimental brand new flow ageing
> API implemented in the mlx5 PMD.
>
> I'm trying it (rte_eth_dev_callback_register(RTE_ETH_EVENT_FLOW_AGED),
> RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_AGE) to recover any flow that I previously
> offloaded.
>
> The DPDK version is 20.08 and Mellanox(Connect-X6) OFED drivers are
> 5.1-2.5.8.0.
>
> I eventually don't see the usefulness of the callback since it's
> actually triggered indirectly by us(the DPDK application) when calling
> rte_flow_get_aged_flows(). If we don't call it, the callback is called
> only once.
>
> And, calling rte_flow_get_aged_flows() from the callback won't trigger
> it next time(MLX5_AGE_TRIGGER is reset after the callback call)
>
> Furthermore, I don't see the point of computing ageing flows in
> mlx5_fow.c::mlx5_flow_aging_check() if the client callback isn't called.
>
> So far, I can handle the flow ageing from the same thread as the one
> which is handling the flow direction(rte_flow), it even avoid threads
> synchronization. But, in the future, I may need to be noticed as soon
> as possible of a single flow ageing, and thus handle this flow logic
> from the ageing callback.
>

> I may misunderstand the whole ageing API... Thanks a lot for any
> clarification.

* [dpdk-dev] rte_flow ageing
@ 2021-03-29  7:50     ` David Bouyeure