DPDK community structure changes
From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
To: Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>
Cc: moving@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] Today's Meeting
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 11:22:41 -0800

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 17:22:29 +0100
Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com> wrote:

> I give some thoughts here because there is no time during the meeting
> to talk between chatty people.

I have same issue with phone meetings with > 3 people.

> First I agree some progress could be done in managing contributions.
> Some progress could be done if people were giving some time.
> Unfortunately a lot of people complain but do not give so much time.
> There are basically 2 ways to give some time:
> - work more on his own contribution (without being disturbed by other projects)
> - review, test and give some opinions about other contributions or discussions

Managing is often code word for some other problem:
 - how can I get my change accepted or
 - how can we reduce the number of unwanted contributions

The most productive open source projects make it clear the state and requirements
for getting patches accepted, DPDK is doing well on this. It is just that
with there are more contributors than reviewers (could also be a trust
issue).

As far as more changes, outside original scope. I agree with Linus,
who always wanted to make sure that some bluebird patch could be accepted
at anytime. I.e no hard and fast roadmap limiting scope.

> About the technical board, there is no point in using it if there is no
> online discussion first. If you see a problem, use your mailer and tell it.
> There is a real power in bringing some evidence to a public mailing list.
> If you do not trust in the power of open discussions, an Open Source project
> cannot do much for you.

Agreed.

  reply index