DPDK community structure changes
From: Matt Spencer <Matt.Spencer@arm.com>
To: "moving@dpdk.org" <moving@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] description of technical governance
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 16:52:11 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Guys

I have a few thoughts on the TSC membership as is outlined by the OVS model that we appear to be wanting to adopt.  The information I have here is taken from a snapshot of the MAINTAINERS file in the latest release of DPDK, and does not take into account what Tim mentions below.

Attached is a spreadsheet that shows how the TSC would look if we were to adopt the OVS model today, and I believe it highlights why a variation of the model be adopted.  As it stands today, it would be heavily biassed towards one company to the point that one organisation would have a virtual veto within the TSC.  I also believe that there would be too many members of the TSC which would hinder it from being an effective governing body for DPDK.

I would the therefor like to put forward a few additional models for suggestion:

1 - we adopt the model as is - one TSC member per committer

       o As this stands today, that would give us 56 TSC members, with almost half of them from one company

2 - we adopt the model as is - one TSC member per committer - to a maximum of 20% membership of the TSC

       o This would ensure that no one company can 'own' the TSC - 56 committers, so max TSC membership from one company would be 11

3 - Maximum one member of TSC per committing company, plus one TSC assignee per paid member

       o This would keep the TSC to a manageable level, give companies an incentive to join, but not require membership to be on the TSC

4 - Something else?

My current thoughts are with 3 because we should end up with a representative cross section of the stakeholders of the project, whilst still incentivising membership of the foundation.

My 2c, let me know what you think.

Regards

Matt