Soft Patch Panel
* [spp] Proposal for RST documentation support
@ 2018-02-01  4:00 Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-02-01  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spp, ferruh.yigit; +Cc: srv-apl-arch

Hi, all

SPP documentation is currently provided as markdown format. Although it
is convenience for hosting on github, I think we need to prepare an
official documentation as similar to other DPDK projects considering
users. In addition, current documents are not so organized well and some
of documents are poor for explanation and should be updated.

I would like to send patches for replacing markdown documents to RST. It
also includes make command support for compiling and cleaning html
documents.
   $ make doc-html   # compile html
   $ make doc-clean  # clean generated documents

As a trial, I have uploaded RST documents on readthedocs.io to be reviewed.
http://spp.readthedocs.io/en/doc_rst/index.html

If it is accpted, I would like to propose DPDK community to add a link
to https://dpdk.org/doc as similar as pktgen-dpdk, or hosting it on
dpdk.org.

Thanks,
Yasufumi

--
Yasufumi Ogawa
NTT Network Service Systems Labs

* Re: [spp] Proposal for RST documentation support
@ 2018-02-01 12:50 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-02-01 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa, spp; +Cc: srv-apl-arch, Thomas Monjalon

On 2/1/2018 4:00 AM, Yasufumi Ogawa wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> SPP documentation is currently provided as markdown format. Although it
> is convenience for hosting on github, I think we need to prepare an
> official documentation as similar to other DPDK projects considering
> users. In addition, current documents are not so organized well and some
> of documents are poor for explanation and should be updated.
>
> I would like to send patches for replacing markdown documents to RST. It
> also includes make command support for compiling and cleaning html
> documents.
>    $ make doc-html   # compile html
>    $ make doc-clean  # clean generated documents
>
> As a trial, I have uploaded RST documents on readthedocs.io to be reviewed.
> http://spp.readthedocs.io/en/doc_rst/index.html

I think this is good idea, I check the docs and looks pretty good.

> If it is accpted, I would like to propose DPDK community to add a link
> to https://dpdk.org/doc as similar as pktgen-dpdk, or hosting it on
> dpdk.org.

And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.

> Thanks,
> Yasufumi

* Re: [spp] Proposal for RST documentation support
@ 2018-02-01 13:10   ` Thomas Monjalon
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-02-01 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: Ferruh Yigit, spp, srv-apl-arch

01/02/2018 13:50, Ferruh Yigit:
> On 2/1/2018 4:00 AM, Yasufumi Ogawa wrote:
> > Hi, all
> >
> > SPP documentation is currently provided as markdown format. Although it
> > is convenience for hosting on github, I think we need to prepare an
> > official documentation as similar to other DPDK projects considering
> > users. In addition, current documents are not so organized well and some
> > of documents are poor for explanation and should be updated.
> >
> > I would like to send patches for replacing markdown documents to RST. It
> > also includes make command support for compiling and cleaning html
> > documents.
> >    $ make doc-html   # compile html
> >    $ make doc-clean  # clean generated documents
> >
> > As a trial, I have uploaded RST documents on readthedocs.io to be reviewed.
> > http://spp.readthedocs.io/en/doc_rst/index.html
>
> I think this is good idea, I check the docs and looks pretty good.
>

> > If it is accpted, I would like to propose DPDK community to add a link
> > to https://dpdk.org/doc as similar as pktgen-dpdk, or hosting it on
> > dpdk.org.
>
> And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.

Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.

* Re: [spp] [spp 02114] Re:  Proposal for RST documentation support
@ 2018-02-02  9:27     ` Nakamura Hioryuki
       [not found]     ` <201802020918.w129IBVm024328@ccmail03.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
From: Nakamura Hioryuki @ 2018-02-02  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Yasufumi Ogawa, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: spp, srv-apl-arch

> 01/02/2018 13:50, Ferruh Yigit:
> > On 2/1/2018 4:00 AM, Yasufumi Ogawa wrote:
> > > Hi, all
> > >
> > > SPP documentation is currently provided as markdown format. Although it
> > > is convenience for hosting on github, I think we need to prepare an
> > > official documentation as similar to other DPDK projects considering
> > > users. In addition, current documents are not so organized well and some
> > > of documents are poor for explanation and should be updated.
> > >
> > > I would like to send patches for replacing markdown documents to RST. It
> > > also includes make command support for compiling and cleaning html
> > > documents.
> > >    $ make doc-html   # compile html
> > >    $ make doc-clean  # clean generated documents
> > >
> > > As a trial, I have uploaded RST documents on readthedocs.io to be reviewed.
> > > http://spp.readthedocs.io/en/doc_rst/index.html
> >
> > I think this is good idea, I check the docs and looks pretty good.
> >

> > > If it is accpted, I would like to propose DPDK community to add a link
> > > to https://dpdk.org/doc as similar as pktgen-dpdk, or hosting it on
> > > dpdk.org.
> >
> > And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.
>
> Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.

Thanks, Thomas, Ferruh and Yasufumi

Of course, we all agree.

--
Nakamura Hioryuki <nakamua.hiroyuki@po.ntt-tx.co.jp>

* Re: [spp] [srv-apl-arch:9031] Re: [spp 02114] Re: Proposal for RST documentation support
       [not found]     ` <201802020918.w129IBVm024328@ccmail03.silk.ntt-tx.co.jp>
@ 2018-02-02  9:43       ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-02-02  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nakamura Hioryuki, Thomas Monjalon, spp
  Cc: Ferruh Yigit, srv-apl-arch, x-fn-spp

On 2018/02/02 18:18, Nakamura Hioryuki wrote:

>>> I think this is good idea, I check the docs and looks pretty good.

>>> And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.
>>
>> Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.
Thanks, all!  Good new for SPP to be hosted on the documentation's site.
I will proceed to migrate documents to RST format.

Hiroyuki, I would like to also migrate your SPP_VF documents.

Thanks,
Yasufumi

--

@ 2018-08-31 18:47     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-08-31 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasufumi Ogawa, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: spp, srv-apl-arch

01/02/2018 14:10, Thomas Monjalon:
> 01/02/2018 13:50, Ferruh Yigit:
> > > If it is accpted, I would like to propose DPDK community to add a link
> > > to https://dpdk.org/doc as similar as pktgen-dpdk, or hosting it on
> > > dpdk.org.
> >
> > And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.
>
> Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.

The SPP doc is now hosted on dpdk.org.
It is generated whenever a tag is pushed:
	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp/
All versions are available:
	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.02/
	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.05/

Note that the version number is not updated in the doc when tagging.
You should make it dynamic in conf.py as it is done for DPDK,
so you won't forget to update it again ;)

* Re: [spp] Proposal for RST documentation support
@ 2018-09-03  8:46       ` Yasufumi Ogawa
From: Yasufumi Ogawa @ 2018-09-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: spp, srv-apl-arch

> 01/02/2018 14:10, Thomas Monjalon:
>> 01/02/2018 13:50, Ferruh Yigit:
>>>
>>> And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.
>>
>> Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.
>
> The SPP doc is now hosted on dpdk.org.
> It is generated whenever a tag is pushed:
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp/
> All versions are available:
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.02/
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.05/
>
> Note that the version number is not updated in the doc when tagging.
> You should make it dynamic in conf.py as it is done for DPDK,
> so you won't forget to update it again ;)
Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot! I would like to update the version number.

Thanks,
Yasufumi

--

@ 2018-09-04 11:51       ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-09-04 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: spp, srv-apl-arch

On 8/31/2018 7:47 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 01/02/2018 14:10, Thomas Monjalon:
>> 01/02/2018 13:50, Ferruh Yigit:
>>>
>>> And I think this is good idea, cc'ed Thomas for comment.
>>
>> Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.
>
> The SPP doc is now hosted on dpdk.org.
> It is generated whenever a tag is pushed:
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp/
> All versions are available:
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.02/
> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.05/

Great! Thanks Thomas.

@ 2018-09-04 11:53         ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2018-09-04 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Yasufumi Ogawa; +Cc: spp, srv-apl-arch

On 9/4/2018 12:51 PM, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 8/31/2018 7:47 PM, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>> 01/02/2018 14:10, Thomas Monjalon:
>>> 01/02/2018 13:50, Ferruh Yigit:

>>> Yes we can host it on dpdk.org and automate the generation at each tag.
>>
>> The SPP doc is now hosted on dpdk.org.
>> It is generated whenever a tag is pushed:
>> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp/
>> All versions are available:
>> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.02/
>> 	http://doc.dpdk.org/spp-18.05/
>
> Great! Thanks Thomas.

Is there link from main dpdk.org page to spp docs?

* Re: [spp] Proposal for RST documentation support
@ 2018-09-04 12:49           ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2018-09-04 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: Yasufumi Ogawa, spp, srv-apl-arch

04/09/2018 13:53, Ferruh Yigit: