From: Dmitry Kozlyuk <dmitry.kozliuk@gmail.com>
To: Rob Scheepens <rob.scheepens@nutanix.com>
Cc: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>,
	Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-users] Build on Windows not working: "ERROR: Program 'echo' not found"
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:28:07 +0300

> Hello Dmitry,
>
> That works, thanks!
>
> Is there an issue open for this? If not, should I create one?

Not yet and I'm not sure is it Meson or DPDK issue.
Meson's behavior changed between 0.57 and 0.58.1
seemingly due to another feature added, on the other hand,
DPDK code didn't work on Windows as expected.

+Bruce, build system maintainer.
I think we'll sort this out, thank you for reporting the bug.

Bruce, in doc/meson.build, we have this:

doc_targets = []
doc_target_names = []
subdir('api')
subdir('guides')

if doc_targets.length() == 0
    message = 'No docs targets found'
else
    message = 'Building docs:'
endif
run_target('doc', command: ['echo', message, doc_target_names],
    depends: doc_targets)

First, why there's no early exit if enable_docs=false?

Second, with Meson 0.57 there's not error on Windows,
but the message is not printed either.
The root cause is there's no `echo` binary on Windows, it's a builtin.
However, when I tried to replace it like so,
0.58.1 gives no error, but also prints nothing:

run_target('doc', command: ['cmd', '/C', 'echo', message, doc_target_names],
    depends: doc_targets)

Although in the log it says it searched for `cmd` and found it.
Could Meson 0.47.1 print a message as required by itself, without echo?