* ethtool-like command on ice pmd
@ 2023-04-05 16:01 Ernesto Ruffini
From: Ernesto Ruffini @ 2023-04-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I would like to configure an Intel E810 with something like

ethtool --set-priv-flags eno1 mdd-auto-reset-vf on

Is there a way to do it from inside DPDK?

I tried to run the ethtool command before binding the nic to the DPDK
driver, but apparently the behaviour is reset once the binding takes place.

Thanks

* Re: ethtool-like command on ice pmd
@ 2023-04-12  7:06 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2023-04-12  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ernesto Ruffini, Qiming Yang, Qi Zhang; +Cc: users

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 8:59 AM Ernesto Ruffini <eruffini@outsys.org> wrote:
> I would like to configure an Intel E810 with something like
> ethtool --set-priv-flags eno1 mdd-auto-reset-vf on
>
> Is there a way to do it from inside DPDK?
> I tried to run the ethtool command before binding the nic to the DPDK driver, but apparently the behaviour is reset once the binding takes place.

Added net/ice maintainers.

--
David Marchand

* Re: ethtool-like command on ice pmd
@ 2023-04-12 14:53 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2023-04-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ernesto Ruffini; +Cc: users

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 18:01:47 +0200
"Ernesto Ruffini" <eruffini@outsys.org> wrote:

> Is there a way to do it from inside DPDK?

Looking at code for DPDK driver for ice, the answer is no.

* RE: ethtool-like command on ice pmd
@ 2023-04-13  7:53   ` Ernesto Ruffini
From: Ernesto Ruffini @ 2023-04-13  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stephen Hemminger'; +Cc: users

Thank you Stephen,
I would really like the PMD driver could implement it.
Any idea on where to start?
I saw the ethtool sends a message to kernel, but from there I cannot
understand where (and how) this is implemented in the ICE driver.
Porting it to the PMD driver would then be another topic, but at least we
can quantify the effort

Thanks
	Ernesto

@ 2023-04-13 23:49     ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2023-04-13 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ernesto Ruffini; +Cc: users

On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:53:12 +0200
"Ernesto Ruffini" <eruffini@outsys.org> wrote:

> Thank you Stephen,
> I would really like the PMD driver could implement it.
> Any idea on where to start?
> I saw the ethtool sends a message to kernel, but from there I cannot
> understand where (and how) this is implemented in the ICE driver.
> Porting it to the PMD driver would then be another topic, but at least we
> can quantify the effort

I don't work for Intel or have the hardware...
But the likely implementation in DPDK would involve adding device specific devargs.