* help with virtio_port
@ 2023-05-23 15:46 Igor de Paula
From: Igor de Paula @ 2023-05-23 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

I am running the DPDK version: 21.08.0 and Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.
I have an application that uses KNI to interface with the kernel.
I want to replace it with virtio_user ports as KNI will be deprecated in
the future.
Most of the functionality I am able to replace but there is one thing I am
struggling with.
In KNI we can add functions that will be called in case the network stack
makes a request. The following code shows this:
struct rte_kni *kni;
        struct rte_kni_conf conf;
        struct rte_kni_ops ops;
        struct rte_eth_dev_info dev_info;
        int ret;
        /* Clear conf at first */
        memset(&conf, 0, sizeof(conf));
        conf.core_id = 0;
        memset(&ops, 0, sizeof(ops));
        ops.port_id = ppo->id;
        ops.config_promiscusity = ippe_ppo_set_kni_promiscuous_mode;
        ops.change_mtu = ippe_ppo_set_kni_mtu;
        ops.config_network_if = ippe_ppo_set_kni_interface;
        ops.config_mac_address = ippe_ppo_set_kni_mac_address;
        kni = rte_kni_alloc(pktmbuf_pool[0], &conf, &ops);

And there is a handle_request function supplied by KNI that calls these
functions when need be,
I haven't found any documentation on how to replace this functionality. I
am no expert in how to set up and interact with the kernel stack, Some help
on how to achieve this would be appreciated.