* Tapping a Tx port to access all the packets being Txed
@ 2024-01-11  5:55 Nicolson Ken (ニコルソン ケン)
From: Nicolson Ken (ニコルソン ケン) @ 2024-01-11  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,

I'm wanting to basically tap a DPDK stream and for instance save all packets being Txed by a PMD to a separate file.

I know I could relatively easily modify an existing PMD to have two output ports, but is there either an existing PMD that does this, or a programmatic way to graft a second port onto an arbitrary PMD, or is there another simpler way that I haven't realised yet. As mbufs are already reference counted, I would hope, and require, that such a solution would be zero copy. RSS-friendly would also be a plus.

Thanks,
Ken

* Re: Tapping a Tx port to access all the packets being Txed
@ 2024-01-11 17:04 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2024-01-11 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolson Ken (ニコルソン ケン)
  Cc: users

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:55:53 +0000
Nicolson Ken (ニコルソン ケン) <ken.nicolson@jp.panasonic.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wanting to basically tap a DPDK stream and for instance save all packets being Txed by a PMD to a separate file.
>
> I know I could relatively easily modify an existing PMD to have two output ports, but is there either an existing PMD that does this, or a programmatic way to graft a second port onto an arbitrary PMD, or is there another simpler way that I haven't realised yet. As mbufs are already reference counted, I would hope, and require, that such a solution would be zero copy. RSS-friendly would also be a plus.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

You could use Tx callback to do this, or pdump, or pcap PMD.