* [dpdk-users] 'install' rule does not work with FreeBSD tar
@ 2016-07-29 16:56 Verkamp, Daniel
From: Verkamp, Daniel @ 2016-07-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi folks,

I'm attempting to install DPDK 16.07 on FreeBSD 10.2.  The build works
correctly up to the point of the actual install step, which fails
because bsdtar does not support the --warning=no-ignore-newer option:

  ================== Installing ./
  tar: Option --warning=no-ignore-newer is not supported

This particular tar reports its version as:

  bsdtar 3.1.2 - libarchive 3.1.2

Removing the --warning=no-ignore-newer option from the two places it is
used in mk/rte.sdkinstall.mk allows the installation to complete
successfully.

It appears that the same problem occurs on FreeBSD on previous DPDK
releases as well, since at least DPDK 2.2.

I'm not sure what the option is for (or why 'tar' is being used as part
of the installation); maybe there is some other, more portable option
that could replace it.

Thanks,
-- Daniel Verkamp

* Re: [dpdk-users] 'install' rule does not work with FreeBSD tar
@ 2016-08-01  8:23 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-08-01  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Verkamp, Daniel; +Cc: users

2016-07-29 16:56, Verkamp, Daniel:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm attempting to install DPDK 16.07 on FreeBSD 10.2.  The build works
> correctly up to the point of the actual install step, which fails
> because bsdtar does not support the --warning=no-ignore-newer option:
>
>   ================== Installing ./
>   tar: Option --warning=no-ignore-newer is not supported
>
> This particular tar reports its version as:
>
>   bsdtar 3.1.2 - libarchive 3.1.2
>
> Removing the --warning=no-ignore-newer option from the two places it is
> used in mk/rte.sdkinstall.mk allows the installation to complete
> successfully.

Thanks for the report.
Would you want to send a patch?

> It appears that the same problem occurs on FreeBSD on previous DPDK
> releases as well, since at least DPDK 2.2.
>
> I'm not sure what the option is for (or why 'tar' is being used as part
> of the installation); maybe there is some other, more portable option
> that could replace it.

tar is convenient for installation. It has some good options like --exclude.
I don't remember why --warning=no-ignore-newer is used.
I think we remove this option to fix BSD install.