* Re: [dpdk-users] Generic Virtualization approach of DPDK based
       [not found] <mailman.1.1580641201.30692.users@dpdk.org>
@ 2020-02-08  5:59 ` Huai-En Tseng
From: Huai-En Tseng @ 2020-02-08  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suchetha2005; +Cc: users

All my X710 X540 X520 VF work well with igb_uio under DPDK 18.11/19.11.

But I never test vfio-pci due to its limitation.
1.vfio-pci module doesn’t support the creation of virtual functions.
2.Any Virtual Function device can be used with VFIO on its own, but physical devices will require either all ports bound to VFIO, or some of them bound to VFIO while others not being bound to anything at all.

Could you provide your VF configuration?

Does your DPDK application processes packets header field correct?

BR,

> Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 22:50:25 +0530
> From: Suchetha p <suchetha2005@gmail.com>
> To: users@dpdk.org
> Subject: [dpdk-users] Generic Virtualization approach of DPDK based
> 	application using SR-IOV and PCI Passthrough to be compatible with all
> 	Hardware NICs

> We are trying to bring up KVM based VMs on HP Gen10 Servers running on RHEL
> 7.6 and having Intel X710 NIC's.
>
> The VMs are also running on RHEL 7.6 and the DPDK version used in the guest
> application is 18.08.
>
> Intel DPDK VF drivers (igb_uio) compiled and loaded currently in our VM are
> not compatible with the Host PF drivers(vfio-pci) for Intel X710 Ethernet
> NICs.
>
> The igb_uio driver may be only compatible with Intel NICs like 82599 as it
> worked in our lab for HP Gen9 servers running RHEL 7.6 having Intel 82599
> NICs.
>
> Issues observed with DPDK VF driver igb_uio for Intel X710 NICs:
>
> The outgoing packets from DPDK application are leaving VM via VF towards
> Host?s Physical ports and reaching remote Host?s Physical ports.
>
> But the incoming packets from Host?s Physical port are not reaching VM via
> VF.
>
> Could you please confirm whether igb_uio driver is compatible with only
> Intel NICs like 82599 ?
>
> So we had to change PCI device binding to another driver vfio-pci available
> in RHEL7.
>
> But based on the debugging of our DPDK based application with VF driver
> vfio-pci on X710 NICs we observed that the incoming packets are VLAN
> stripped by HW when the OFFLOAD flags are not set for the same.
>
> why  does X710 NIC VF driver remove the VLAN without RX offload VLAN strip
> flags set?
>
> Could you please check and confirm if the unexpected VLAN removal behaviour
> of X710 NIC VF driver vfio-pci is a known bug?
>
> We want to generalize DPDK implementation for all HW NICs.Could you please
> clarify if this is achievable with igb_uio or vfio-pci driver ?
>
> We would  appreciate if you could provide your feedback and suggestions
> towards generic solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Suchetha

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-08  6:00 UTC | newest]