From: Filip Janiszewski <contact@filipjaniszewski.com>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: [dpdk-users] rte_mempool_get returning null
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:50:43 +0200

Hi,

What would be the reason for rte_mempool_get returning null even if
rte_mempool_avail_count returns a big positive number? I know is
positive since I've added a print in my code to test that..

I've a strange issue where once I extract N items from the pool (where N
is the exact size of the pool) then the rte_mempool_get fails even if in
between the N extraction I've replenished the pool with rte_mempool_put
so that rte_mempool_avail_count is always positive.

The pool is created like this:

    data_pool_ = rte_mempool_create(
                     fdo_str_name,
                     config_->chunk_count,
                     chunk_size,
                     0, // cache_size
                     0, // private_data_size
                     nullptr, // mp_init
                     nullptr, // mp_init_arg
                     nullptr, // obj_init
                     nullptr, // obj_init_arg
                     config_->host_socket_id,
                     0 );

Producer and consumer are running on separate threads, but that should
not be the issue since the creation flag is 0 (Multi producer/Multi
consumer). So in my scenario is chunk_count is say 128, then after 128
GET operations I get null even if I PUT back 128 items before this last
GET (and again, rte_mempool_avail_count is 128...)

Is weird, since this is happening since I've upgraded to 21.02 from
20.02.1, may I have messed up the compilation of the new DPDK? How can I
investigate this issue?

Thanks

--
BR, Filip