DPDK usage discussions
 help / color / Atom feed
* [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption
@ 2019-11-01 16:21 Eric Kuha
  2019-11-04 10:55 ` Trahe, Fiona
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 2+ messages in thread
From: Eric Kuha @ 2019-11-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hello,

I am working with a team at U of MN on a DPDK-based project. We are using DPDK
18.11, with Mellanox Connect X-5 EN NICs and mlx5 driver. Not sure what
other details you might need to help me, but I think my question is
straightforward enough.

In the cryptodev library, the function
rte_cryptodev_asym_get_private_session_size() is flagged as
__rte_experimental. CLion interprets this as deprecated, which is probably
neither here nor there. My question is, is this method safe to use? If my
goal is simply a proof-of-concept network function (of which asymmetric
crypto is a crucial part), am I safe to use the code used in the examples
and the programmer's guide? If this functionality is going to move out of
an experimental phase, are they likely to change in significant ways that
would make my code unusable if it ever makes it to a deployable state?

And, as a final thought, are any functions listed as __rte_experimental
considered unsafe for deployment? It might not be an issue for my project,
but it might be useful to know.

Kind regards and thanks,
Eric

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption
  2019-11-01 16:21 [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption Eric Kuha
@ 2019-11-04 10:55 ` Trahe, Fiona
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 2+ messages in thread
From: Trahe, Fiona @ 2019-11-04 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Kuha, users; +Cc: Trahe, Fiona

Hi Eric,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: users <users-bounces@dpdk.org> On Behalf Of Eric Kuha
> Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 4:21 PM
> To: users@dpdk.org
> Subject: [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption
> 
> Hello,
> 
> I am working with a team at U of MN on a DPDK-based project. We are using DPDK
> 18.11, with Mellanox Connect X-5 EN NICs and mlx5 driver. Not sure what
> other details you might need to help me, but I think my question is
> straightforward enough.
> 
> In the cryptodev library, the function
> rte_cryptodev_asym_get_private_session_size() is flagged as
> __rte_experimental. CLion interprets this as deprecated, which is probably
> neither here nor there. My question is, is this method safe to use? If my
> goal is simply a proof-of-concept network function (of which asymmetric
> crypto is a crucial part), am I safe to use the code used in the examples
> and the programmer's guide? 
[Fiona] yes, it's fine for a proof-of-concept.

If this functionality is going to move out of
> an experimental phase, are they likely to change in significant ways that
> would make my code unusable if it ever makes it to a deployable state?
> 
> And, as a final thought, are any functions listed as __rte_experimental
> considered unsafe for deployment? It might not be an issue for my project,
> but it might be useful to know.
> 
[Fiona] When moving the application to a later DPDK release, there are no guarantees these
APIs will remain the same - so you may need to rework the application to build against the new release.
More information about the experimental label here:
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/contributing/versioning.html

> Kind regards and thanks,
> Eric

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 2+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 2+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-11-01 16:21 [dpdk-users] Cryptodev asymmetric encryption Eric Kuha
2019-11-04 10:55 ` Trahe, Fiona

DPDK usage discussions

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror http://inbox.dpdk.org/users/0 users/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 users users/ http://inbox.dpdk.org/users \
		users@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index users


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.users


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox