* [dpdk-users] PTP client over DPDK
@ 2019-09-05 14:23 Philippe CORNET
From: Philippe CORNET @ 2019-09-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all,

I am currently wondering what is the best/cheapest way to implement a PTP client over DPDK:

1.       Implementing a custom PTP client over DPDK.
or

2.       Using LinuxPTP (http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/) through KNI interface.

For solution 1, we can start from the PTP sample program, but it certainly requires quite some time to develop a smart and accurate client.

For solution 2, I have a proof-of-concept which works quite well, but it requires these modifications:

-          To build KNI with flag CONFIG_RTE_KNI_PREEMPT_DEFAULT=n to reduce latency of KNI

-          To patch kni_net.c to add a software timestamping of the skb (skb_tx_timestamp(skb)) in tx routine.

-          To patch LinuxPTP to avoid it checking the software-transmit time stamping capability of the KNI driver.

Solution 2 is tempting because it almost costs nothing in term of development time, but I am not sure that it is the good way to proceed...

Does anyone has strong arguments for or against this second solution?

Thanks,
Philippe