* DPDK "ninja install" issue
@ 2022-05-20 20:41 Templin (US), Fred L
From: Templin (US), Fred L @ 2022-05-20 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi, I am having trouble running "ninja install" while following verbatim from the documents.
I am on Ubuntu 22.04 and have downloaded dpdk-21.11.1. I also installed meson and ninja
using the appropriate "apt install" commands.

When I follow the instructions in the DPDK documentation, everything works fine up until
the "ninja install". I issue the following commands:

tar -xJf dpdk-21.11.1.tar.xz
cd dpdk-stable-21.11.1/
meson -Dexamples=all build
cd build
ninja
sudo ninja install

But, when I run the "sudo ninja install" I get the following output:

"[0/1] Installing files.

ERROR: Build directory has been generated with Meson version 0.62.1, which is incompatible with the current version 0.61.2.
FAILED: meson-install
/usr/bin/meson install --no-rebuild
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed."

I also tried the same commands with dpdk-22.03 and got the same problem.
Any ideas how to address this?

Thanks - Fred

* RE: DPDK "ninja install" issue
@ 2022-05-21  0:23 ` Templin (US), Fred L
From: Templin (US), Fred L @ 2022-05-21  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Never mind, I found the problem. On Ubuntu 22.04 there was apparently already some
form of installation of meson and ninja, but then I hit it again with "pip3 install". I have
seen many times now that on Ubuntu you need to be very careful not to use pip3 to
install something already installed by apt and vice-versa - the two packages seem to
have the ability to clobber the work done by the other in strange ways, and I am
surprised this doesn't cause widespread problems.

Bottom line - I was able to start from scratch and now have DPDK built and installed.

Fred