* Fwd: DPDK Tip in Docker Container
       [not found] <3594eba5-ba63-a25a-a8af-245303143706@wingert.org>
@ 2023-07-19 20:05 ` Christopher Wingert
From: Christopher Wingert @ 2023-07-19 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Answer my own question for future google searches.

Digging through the mlx5 driver source, it looks through the netlink
kernel interface to get details about the hardware. Without access to
the kernel data, DPDK can't init the mlx5 driver.

You need to pass the interface into the container via the ip command
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60189587/how-to-pass-through-physical-nic-to-docker-container

Thanks!
Chris

On 7/14/2023 12:51 PM, Christopher Wingert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to bring up DPDK tip in Ubuntu 22.10/Docker.  When I run
> dpdk-testpmd, it doesn't seem to be able to find the Connect X5
> interfaces.  I get an error "mlx_net: Unable to recognize
> master/respresentors on the multiple IB devices."
>
> dpdk-testpmd works fine outside docker.
>
> The command line I am using is
> "docker run --privileged --cap-add=ALL -v /sys:/sys -v /dev:/dev"
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-07-19 20:05 UTC | newest]