* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Solarflare DPDK
       [not found] ` <ed4265a7-db51-5b68-0598-fcd77f22e219@solarflare.com>
@ 2017-03-21  9:05   ` Ankit Aggarwal
From: Ankit Aggarwal @ 2017-03-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Rybchenko, users; +Cc: dev

Hi Andrew

I'm developing a kit for kernel bypass purpose.OpenOnLoad already provides
a way to do kernel bypass.

Can dpdk also be used for kernel bypassing purpose on intel/solarflare
cards?

Ankit Aggarwal

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Andrew Rybchenko <arybchenko@solarflare.com

@ 2017-03-21  9:30     ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2017-03-21  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankit Aggarwal; +Cc: Andrew Rybchenko, users

<elided: dev@dpdk.org, not pertinent>

,----[ ankit-agarwal ]
| Can dpdk also be used for kernel bypassing purpose on intel/solarflare
| cards?
`----
yes it can. but, in terms of functionality, you would need to
build/cobble together the complete stack yourself. which _might_ be
non-trivial.

another option ofcourse, is to go with commercial solutions (something
akin to OpenOnload) built with dpdk e.g. 6wind...

---
thanks
anupam

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Solarflare DPDK
@ 2017-03-21  9:48       ` Ankit Aggarwal
From: Ankit Aggarwal @ 2017-03-21  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anupam Kapoor; +Cc: Andrew Rybchenko, users

Hi

"but, in terms of functionality"

Can you elaborate on that?

Ankit Aggarwal

@ 2017-03-21 10:22         ` Anupam Kapoor
From: Anupam Kapoor @ 2017-03-21 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankit Aggarwal; +Cc: Anupam Kapoor, Andrew Rybchenko, users

,----[ ankit-agarwal ]
| "but, in terms of functionality"
|
| Can you elaborate on that?
`----
sure, think l2 handling sepcifically, arp, neighbor table management
etc. for l3 you need to manage routing etc. etc., from l4 onwards you
need to worry about protocol specific handling, and protocol states
which may or may not last application lifetimes etc. etc.

but, i am guessing, openload's offering is already battle-tested, and
provides sane sematics for stuff outlined above, both on virtualized,
and bare-metal environments.

or, as mentioned earlier, if you want to go with dpdk, then there are
commercial offerings available there as well.

--
kind regards
anupam

* Re: [dpdk-users] [dpdk-dev] Solarflare DPDK
@ 2017-03-21 13:30     ` Andrew Rybchenko
From: Andrew Rybchenko @ 2017-03-21 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankit Aggarwal, users

On 03/21/2017 12:05 PM, Ankit Aggarwal wrote:
> I'm developing a kit for kernel bypass purpose.OpenOnLoad already
> provides a way to do kernel bypass.
>
> Can dpdk also be used for kernel bypassing purpose on intel/solarflare
> cards?

Yes, it can be used.

Onload works best on Solarflare cards but that there is experimental
support for Onload on Intel cards.

Andrew.