* Running testpmd as non-root user with uio_pci_generic
@ 2023-01-14 22:17 Isaac Boukris
From: Isaac Boukris @ 2023-01-14 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi,

I tried to run testpmd as a non-root user with uio_pci_generic (i.e.
not vfio-pci) on a vmxnet3 interface by setting the
'cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_admin' capabilities as according to the doc at:
https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-21.11/linux_gsg/enable_func.html

But that didn't work and I was still getting the documented error:
EAL: rte_mem_virt2phy(): cannot open /proc/self/pagemap: Permission denied

I dug a little and found that I had to add the 'cap_dac_override' as
well and then it worked, the hint was at (which also includes a small
demo program): https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17176

I thought it was worth sharing as I have seen it being asked a couple of times.

Cheers,
Isaac