From: Ido Goshen <Ido@cgstowernetworks.com>
To: "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Cc: "konstantin.ananyev@intel.com" <konstantin.ananyev@intel.com>
Subject: Does ACL support field size of 8 bytes?
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:55:39 +0000

Hi

I've lots of good experience with ACL but can't make it work with u64 values
I know it can be split to 2xu32 fields, but it makes it more complex to use and a wastes double  number of fields (we hit the RTE_ACL_MAX_FIELDS 64 limit)

According to the documentation and rte_acl.h fields size can be 8 bytes (u64)
e.g.
  'The size parameter defines the length of the field in bytes. Allowable values are 1, 2, 4, or 8 bytes.'
  (from https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-21.11/prog_guide/packet_classif_access_ctrl.html#rule-definition)

Though there's a hint it's less recommended
  'Also, it is best to define fields of 8 or more bytes as 4 byte fields so that the build processes can eliminate fields that are all wild.'

It's also not clear how it fits in a group (i.e. what's input_index stride) which is only 4 bytes
    'All subsequent fields has to be grouped into sets of 4 consecutive bytes.'

I couldn't find any example or test app that's using 8 bytes
e.g. for IPv6 address 4xu32 fields are always used and not 2xu64

Should it work?
Did anyone try it successfully and/or can share an example?

Thanx,
- Ido