* Difficulty with legacy mem mode DPDK 20.11
@ 2021-11-07 14:04 MOD
From: MOD @ 2021-11-07 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

hi,
we are in the process of upgrading to DPDK 20.11 from DPDK 17.11. We have
encountered an issue where the secondary process fails to allocate it's
needed memory, and have decided to use the --legacy-mem option for an
easier upgrade (If there's a way to make the dynamic allocation work, we
would like to hear about it as well).
when starting up the application with legacy-mem, it starts to allocate
resources, and then this error occurs (We are trying to allocate 256GB of
1-GB hugepages):

 Could not find space for memseg. Please increase 32768 and/or 65536
in configuration.

This error is referring (according to the source code) to the
RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_TYPE and RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_TYPE variables at
rte_config.h
We tried doing some research about  them, and came up with the following:

A type is page size + NUMA combination (for example, 2 NUMAs and only 2MB
pages are 2 types)

RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_LISTS: A memseg is a memory page, and at list one list
should exists per type
RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_LIST and RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_LIST are self explanatory
RTE_MAX_MEMSEG_PER_TYPE and RTE_MAX_MEM_MB_PER_TYPE are also self
explanatory

changing the values according to our desired settings doesn't seem to solve
the problem, so are we missing something?

Thanks in advance!