* IPv6 Multicast packets not received by the DPDK primary process (with MLX5 device)
@ 2022-09-13  6:28 madhukar mythri
From: madhukar mythri @ 2022-09-13  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

On our DPDK primary application (based of MLX5 PMD/Device), facing issue in
receiving the IPv6 "Neighbor-Solicitation" packets which is based on
Multi-cast address.
Our DPDK primrary application is configured in Flow-isolation mode, by
adding the Unicast, Multi-cast and Broad-cast MAC address flows using the
rte_flow_create() API, such that we are able to receive all type(IPv6 and
IPv4) of packets were received well, except the Multi-cast address packet
on the secondary IP-address which is not configured as part of Linux Kernel
netDevice interface.

Multi-cast packets were received well only which we add the IP-address on
the Linux Kernel interface(ethX based of mlx5_core driver interface) and if
we do not add the IP-address on Linux kernel interface then the IPv6
"Neighbor-Solicitation" Multi-cast packet was not received to the DPDK
primary application.

We found a limitation on DPDK MLX5 PMD guide w.r.t IPv6 Multi-cast packets
in the following URL: https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/nics/mlx5.html , as
follows:
==================================
• IPv6 Multicast messages are not supported on VM, while promiscuous mode
and allmulticast mode are both set to off. To receive IPv6 Multicast
messages on VM, explicitly set the relevant MAC address using
rte_eth_dev_mac_addr_add() API.
==================================

        But, when we enable the Promiscuous and All-Multicast mode, DPDK
mlx5 PMD return Error saying "cannot enable in Flow-isolation mode".

So, does this IPv6 Multicast limitation still exist ?  if so, please let us
know, what is the work-around on this ?

DPDK-version: DPDK-21.11.

Linux kernel driver and firmware-version details:
~ # ethtool -i eth1
driver: mlx5_core
version: 5.0-0
firmware-version: 14.23.1020 (MT_2420110004)
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:00:08.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: yes