* [dpdk-users] pktgen w pcap file
@ 2019-07-10 13:12 Sara Gittlin
From: Sara Gittlin @ 2019-07-10 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Hi all
I'm running the pkgen w pcap file ,  -s P:http.pcap
but i dont see any  pkts  in the receive side
Is pktgen automatically transmits the pcap after startup ? or i have to
manually run it from the cli ?
is it possible to run this pcap many times?
Thank you
-Sara

* Re: [dpdk-users] pktgen w pcap file
@ 2019-07-10 13:19 ` Wiles, Keith
From: Wiles, Keith @ 2019-07-10 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sara Gittlin; +Cc: users

The way Pktgen works is it loads the packets into memory until it fills up the number of buffers allocated, which I think is 8192 buffers. If you pcap file is more then that they are ignored.

Pktgen has different modes for the transmitting packets, the PCAP is loaded and assign to a port, but it doe not mean they will be sent. The default mode is single packet mode and you have to enable PCAP file to be sent using the enable <portlist> pcap command. Then you have to do a start <portlist> on that port to send the pcap files. Each mode has its own set of buffers it can send, so you can switch to modes and be able to reenable pcap mode on a port to send the pcap buffers again.

The pcap data loaded into memory will be sent over and over if you send more than the number of pcap packets you loaded. The way DPDK works it possible they will be send out of order :-(

> On Jul 10, 2019, at 8:12 AM, Sara Gittlin <sara.gittlin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all
> I'm running the pkgen w pcap file ,  -s P:http.pcap
> but i dont see any  pkts  in the receive side
> Is pktgen automatically transmits the pcap after startup ? or i have to
> manually run it from the cli ?
> is it possible to run this pcap many times?
> Thank you
> -Sara

Regards,
Keith